Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    0

    WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload

    The WC7775 harddisk crashed and stopped booting, so i had to replace it. I also had to reloaded the software via altboot after changing the hd. Thereafter it booted up but started to complain about the yellow toner and yel & mg drums not being compatible, which was never the case before. Any suggestions pls?
    Dgtal

  2. #2
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload


    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload

    Quote Originally Posted by adeyemi View Post
    The WC7775 harddisk crashed and stopped booting, so i had to replace it. I also had to reloaded the software via altboot after changing the hd. Thereafter it booted up but started to complain about the yellow toner and yel & mg drums not being compatible, which was never the case before. Any suggestions pls?
    The 77xx system software (all versions) seems to be very buggy when it comes to supplies. Even though it uses the same supply set as the 76xx and the DocuColor 2xx families, the "logic" it uses to dictate when you must replace the supply is VERY different.

    It would appear that Xerox tried to crack down on refilling and reusing toners and drums. On the 76xx and 2xx, you can re-use the toner chips forever. Your 0%-100% counter won't work, but as long as there is toner in the cartridge, it will use it up.

    With the 77xx, when it hits 0%, it will keep going for a short while, but then, it the toner (or drum) is still going when IT feels like it shouldn't be anymore, it will declare that item "incompatible" and you have to replace it.

    So, a possibility with your supplies is this: Were they fairly close to end-of-life when you reloaded the system software? If it is just SOME of the supplies and not all, I don't think it is a regional (Europe vs US, etc) issue. Perhaps they were close to the end and with the reload, that causes it to decide they were too old. (It always uses the "replace with compatible" in this instance, rather than just the more logical "replace".)

    Like I said, the 77xx software is some of the most bloated, poorly written buggy software I've ever seen on a "professional produced" device. (And the 76xx wasn't great either, but the 77xx is worse.) I have seen it do exactly what you describe (albeit without the software reload) with the toners, and more rarely drums, though I've had it happen there, too. It would suddenly declare them incompatible for "seemingly" no reason, even though they were genuine Xerox and should still have life left.

    Another thing I have noticed is that once it does declare a supply "incompatible" it KILLS the chip that is on there. So no matter what, that particular chip won't work anymore regardless.

    May or may not be your issue. I've never bumped into problems with reloading 77xx software related to this, so I don't know if that is related, or if it was just timing.

    Good luck.

    K

    (BTW - There is an NVM floating around here that supposedly allows the 77xx series to behave more like the older machines and keep using an old chip, or to extend the window of time that it will keep using an old toner. I can't recall what it is off-hand, but it is called the Toner Fill % setting. Sadly, it is completely and totally ineffective. It does NOT do what people think it does. I have several 7775's and use them heavily and can real-world confirm it makes zero difference in terms of the "Replace with compatible" error.)

  3. #3
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload

    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    The 77xx system software (all versions) seems to be very buggy when it comes to supplies. Even though it uses the same supply set as the 76xx and the DocuColor 2xx families, the "logic" it uses to dictate when you must replace the supply is VERY different.

    It would appear that Xerox tried to crack down on refilling and reusing toners and drums. On the 76xx and 2xx, you can re-use the toner chips forever. Your 0%-100% counter won't work, but as long as there is toner in the cartridge, it will use it up.

    With the 77xx, when it hits 0%, it will keep going for a short while, but then, it the toner (or drum) is still going when IT feels like it shouldn't be anymore, it will declare that item "incompatible" and you have to replace it.

    So, a possibility with your supplies is this: Were they fairly close to end-of-life when you reloaded the system software? If it is just SOME of the supplies and not all, I don't think it is a regional (Europe vs US, etc) issue. Perhaps they were close to the end and with the reload, that causes it to decide they were too old. (It always uses the "replace with compatible" in this instance, rather than just the more logical "replace".)

    Like I said, the 77xx software is some of the most bloated, poorly written buggy software I've ever seen on a "professional produced" device. (And the 76xx wasn't great either, but the 77xx is worse.) I have seen it do exactly what you describe (albeit without the software reload) with the toners, and more rarely drums, though I've had it happen there, too. It would suddenly declare them incompatible for "seemingly" no reason, even though they were genuine Xerox and should still have life left.

    Another thing I have noticed is that once it does declare a supply "incompatible" it KILLS the chip that is on there. So no matter what, that particular chip won't work anymore regardless.

    May or may not be your issue. I've never bumped into problems with reloading 77xx software related to this, so I don't know if that is related, or if it was just timing.

    Good luck.

    K

    (BTW - There is an NVM floating around here that supposedly allows the 77xx series to behave more like the older machines and keep using an old chip, or to extend the window of time that it will keep using an old toner. I can't recall what it is off-hand, but it is called the Toner Fill % setting. Sadly, it is completely and totally ineffective. It does NOT do what people think it does. I have several 7775's and use them heavily and can real-world confirm it makes zero difference in terms of the "Replace with compatible" error.)
    Thanks for this comprehensive response. I guess you are right about the items it declared incompatible (R3 & R4 drums and Yellow toner)as being close to end of life before the software reload. So if i get you right, fixing fresh supplies should sort out the issue?
    Dgtal

  4. #4
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload


    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload

    Quote Originally Posted by adeyemi View Post
    Thanks for this comprehensive response. I guess you are right about the items it declared incompatible (R3 & R4 drums and Yellow toner)as being close to end of life before the software reload. So if i get you right, fixing fresh supplies should sort out the issue?
    It should. If you haven't already done it, I would recommend replacing each one one at a time and let it recognize it before you do the next. It isn't as common, but once or twice I have had a 77xx get "stuck" insisting that the brand new (genuine Xerox) item was not compatible, even after replacing it, and then of course it would "kill" the chip on that new item too.

  5. #5
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload

    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    It should. If you haven't already done it, I would recommend replacing each one one at a time and let it recognize it before you do the next. It isn't as common, but once or twice I have had a 77xx get "stuck" insisting that the brand new (genuine Xerox) item was not compatible, even after replacing it, and then of course it would "kill" the chip on that new item too.
    Waoh! What a machine!!!
    Dgtal

  6. #6
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload


    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload

    Quote Originally Posted by adeyemi View Post
    Waoh! What a machine!!!
    Yeah, the difference between their hardware teams and their software teams is astounding. Because I love Xerox hardware (Fuji Xerox, that is... The color machines.)

    But their software is buggy, sloppy, amateurish crap. I'm a Xerox guy through and through, but I'm not blind to how low quality much of their software is.

    In my opinion.

  7. #7
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload

    Quote Originally Posted by adeyemi View Post
    The WC7775 harddisk crashed and stopped booting, so i had to replace it. I also had to reloaded the software via altboot after changing the hd. Thereafter it booted up but started to complain about the yellow toner and yel & mg drums not being compatible, which was never the case before. Any suggestions pls?
    Pls anyone with a working nvm on this machine that can be sent to me??? I'll appreciate this very much
    Dgtal

  8. #8
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: WC 7775 cannot recognize drums and toner after sw reload

    Quote Originally Posted by adeyemi View Post
    Pls anyone with a working nvm on this machine that can be sent to me??? I'll appreciate this very much
    Someone out there plzzzz?
    Dgtal

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-=-=-=-=-=-


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here