Let me save you some time and troubles I had repairing my surplus WorkCentre M24 Xerox copier (Control ROM 4.0.23, Frame ROM 4.134.6).

Problem:
Irregular or slower and slower scanning that finally raises a fatal error.
If tilting the harddisk, while scanning, resolves the issue temporarily, your HDD probably has developed some bad sectors or the disk's spindle bearings have become worn out. In that case or when your disk has crashed otherwise, a new disk is needed.

Solution:
My M24 uses a 20GB Toshiba MK2023GAS IDE PATA laptop disk. Cloning the entire disk on a PC was impossible due to errors on it, so I was stuck. Attaching an empty disk invoked error 116-330 and running Setup using the PWS (Portable Work Station; torrents are nice) couldn't succeed. Unfortunately there is no option to format a new harddisk from the copier's menu panel. So, first of all, I cloned as much as possible from the original disk to the new disk.

Now the magic trick to solve the persistent 116-330 error: copy the final disk sector (512 bytes) of the original disk to the final sector of the new disk. So if you have e.g. a 60GB MK6034GAX IDE PATA replacement disk you can only get it to work by copying the last sector of the 20GB disk to it. To copy the final sector (possibly some proprierty sort of boot record or partition table) you can use the freely available HxD disk editor at mh-nexus

If only this single final sector is present on the disk, the Setup from the PWS will pass and you're done.
Without the PWS, a new disk may need just enough cloned sectors in addition to the magic final sector to boot up into the menu panel, perhaps by pressing the 4 + Stop + PowerSave buttons down to initialize the disk. Finally, power-up the copier while holding 1 + Stop + PowerSave buttons down to clear the disk log.

The M24 requires a PATA disk of 10GB or bigger. A 60GB disk should be no problem with this trick, nor a PATA SSD. However keep in mind that the M24 was manufactured around 2004 and a disk bigger than 137GB might not work because of this size limit due to an old ATA protocol.

(Attaching a 20 MB zip file of a complete virginal M24 20GB disk image to this posting failed because the file was reported too big on upload, though it's smaller than the said 45 MB limit . Nevertheless the zipped mandatory single final sector made it.)

Xerox M24 mandatory final sector on disk.zip