Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Xerox DocuColor 252 (DC250) random cyan spots

I've seen a couple of threads on the subject here, but none have solved the problem so far.

A customer has a DocuColor 252. He gets random cyan spots on every other print or so. I have attached an example.

So far I have changed drum, then developer, then toner, and all filters. Changing developer helped for a very short while (200 prints or so), but then the problem came back.

Not sure what else to look for. Developer and/or drum drive maybe?

cyan.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Xerox DocuColor 252 (DC250) random cyan spots

I've seen a couple of threads on the subject here, but none have solved the problem so far.

A customer has a DocuColor 252. He gets random cyan spots on every other print or so. I have attached an example.

So far I have changed drum, then developer, then toner, and all filters. Changing developer helped for a very short while (200 prints or so), but then the problem came back.

Not sure what else to look for. Developer and/or drum drive maybe?

Did you replace the Developer Housing and Developer Charge (Powder)? If you only changed 1 you will need to replace both to be on the safe side. When the developer was replaced did you input the new numbers into the machine for the ATC sensors? Check Developer housing to make sure that the cover is flush on both sides and has 3 slots inserted into frame. Has to go in on an angle. Both sides have to be snapped in over the rounded edge to make a complete seal. If not make sure you input those numbers in there.
    Next check the dust shield inside the machine by pulling out the drum drawer and cover from light, pull out the fuser drawer out and then push in both "stops" on each side and pull further. Small hole in middle of rail. Clean the rear of this drawer, build up on the 2nd BTR connectors. Open the IBT drawer, BE VERY CAREFUL REMOVING THE IBT IF YOU CHOSE TO. (You have to extend fuser drawer as noted above)
    Inside the machine on the right hand side between the drum drawer and fuser drawer there is a black plastic cover. There maybe a build up of toner on there. Get down on the floor to get your hands up into the machine to clean with rag or vacuum if needed. If you cant you will have to remove the fuser drawer. I would suggest that if you chose to remove the Drum, Fuser and IBT assy drawers you may as well clean the ROS fans, entire cavity in that area. Better safe than sorry on this one. If that does not work and you are still dropping toner. See below.

Check and run the Toner Dispense motors to make sure they are not clogged up shooting toner when it unclogs. Clean entire drum tray to include the metal support brackets are free of toner. Error codes in the 093 range would be in history if any had issues.

99% of the time replacing the Developer Housing and Charge (Powder) has solved this issue. If you have picked this up on a new contract, spend 1 hour and clean the machine to save yourself alot of time down the road for CQ issues for dust related issues. NO GENERIC TONERS, DRUMS on this machine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. Both housing and developer were changed and ATC sensor data correctly inserted. I am pretty confident the cover was placed correctly too. I always double check. Whenever I change developer I remove drawers and use toner vacuum cleaner to clean out the machine. Since the problem only occurs on cyan I was focusing on that direction. I have checked the dispense motor from component control and this seems to be running fine.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Is the toner genuine? I had a few that rattled inside the toner cartridge due to solid lumps being in the cartridge, even on genuine ones also, if it was okay after developer change for 200 prints, seems like toner issue

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Post Re: Xerox DocuColor 252 (DC250) random cyan spots

Toner is 100% genuine Xerox. I have replaced it with an other original Xerox toner, same problem.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Went there again today, double checked if everything was alright, cleaned out machine, and manually toned down cyan a bit. Prints were clean for a little while, but the spots came back. There was some build-up of toner on the developer surface. This build-up releases every other print or so and causes the sports. I'm suspecting either the drum drive or the developer drive now. If one of them is not rotating at the correct speed, that could cause the build-up right?

Developer, toner and drum are all brand new so I've ruled them out.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Never rule it out! But was the toner on the surface solid or powder?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

It was powder, no solid bits.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I still haven't been able to resolve this. In addition to the cyan toner, drum, developer housing and developer I have also replaced the cyan drum drive and the developer motors. I'm getting a bit desperate...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have finally been able to resolve this.It was, after all, it bad toner. As there's toner residue in both the dispenser as well as the drum it is super important to replace toner, drum and developer at the same time and make sure all toner is gone from the dispenser.