Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: DC 242 toner

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

DC 242 toner

Ok. I made the mistake of using a compatible yellow toner when I couldn't get hold of a genuine toner and I have ruined the drum I can actually see little hard particles stuck on the cleaning blade that have scored the charge roller. I have a genuine toner in there now and about 70% used.

My question is how long does it take for the toner to work through the dev so if I put a new drum in I'm not going to ruin that one as well or would I be better off replacing the dev powder as well?

Cheers
    Chris

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    DC 242 toner

Re: DC 242 toner

Quote Originally Posted by chrisio View Post
    Ok. I made the mistake of using a compatible yellow toner when I couldn't get hold of a genuine toner and I have ruined the drum I can actually see little hard particles stuck on the cleaning blade that have scored the charge roller. I have a genuine toner in there now and about 70% used.

My question is how long does it take for the toner to work through the dev so if I put a new drum in I'm not going to ruin that one as well or would I be better off replacing the dev powder as well?

Cheers
    Chris
    Definitely better off replacing the developer powder with a fresh load. Even if you flush the toner through, the old generic developer would still be in there lingering for quite a while longer and it is more likely to do damage to your drum than the toner.

Cleaning out the assembly and replacing the developer is a messy nuisance, but it is the best way. Be thorough. A LOT of developer clings to the back side of the mag roller even when you rotate it, and you want to get it all off. A fresh packet of developer isn't terribly expensive. Less than a color drum, which may die early because of the residual generic materials.

Since you've already used 30% of a genuine cartridge (right?) the generic is already out of the dispenser and the transport tubes. So nothing to worry about there.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: DC 242 toner

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    Definitely better off replacing the developer powder with a fresh load. Even if you flush the toner through, the old generic developer would still be in there lingering for quite a while longer and it is more likely to do damage to your drum than the toner.

Cleaning out the assembly and replacing the developer is a messy nuisance, but it is the best way. Be thorough. A LOT of developer clings to the back side of the mag roller even when you rotate it, and you want to get it all off. A fresh packet of developer isn't terribly expensive. Less than a color drum, which may die early because of the residual generic materials.

Since you've already used 30% of a genuine cartridge (right?) the generic is already out of the dispenser and the transport tubes. So nothing to worry about there.

Thanks. I thought as much. I have flushed 70% of an original toner through now. I will get another drum and a pack of dev and swap it all out.

Lesson learned that it's more expensive to run the machine on compatible toner.

Cheers
    Chris.