Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Xerox Work Center 7556 going dead, or taking long to scan, stops mid print etc

Hi Guys, this thing has been acting strange. cust said that they went to scan and it was taking forever, so she tried to turn it off with the soft switch.
    that wouldn't work, and nothing she did on the panel would correct it, so she unplugged it. when she plugged it in, it wouldn't come up. she checked 15 minutes later and it finally was on. they said the screen or machine seemed frozen.

i asked if it seemed like the LCD touch screen wasn't working, and when this situation happened, nothing they did would do anything. i guess i am ruling out the LVPS, and due to the long startup the touch screen.

i only have a few of these, so i am wondering if this is a HDD problem or ??

does anyone happen to have any ideas what is going on with this one?

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, Jim.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Xerox Work Center 7556 going dead, or taking long to scan, stops mid print etc

Make sure SBC fan is spinning. Most of the machines were built with a poor fan that goes noisy and fails causing the chip to overheat and machine freezes and SBC failure.

If that checks out OK try an altboot.

Re: Xerox Work Center 7556 going dead, or taking long to scan, stops mid print etc

oh, that's a very logical idea. i will check that fan.

i found the below paragraph on Forced ALTboot Upgrade Process, but i am assuming its a ? firmware upgrade?

I only found this firmware upgrade on the Xerox site.

File Download: 061.121.224.18803-General Release

• Filename WorkCentre_7500-system-sw_061.121.224.18803.zip
    • Version 061.121.224.18803
    • Date Oct 31, 2016
    • Size 316.3 MB

does that sound like the ALTboot you are refering too??

Thank you very much Richard.Xerox, I really appreciate your advice.
    i hope you have a very nice day, Jim

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post
    oh, that's a very logical idea. i will check that fan.

i found the below paragraph on Forced ALTboot Upgrade Process, but i am assuming its a ? firmware upgrade?

I only found this firmware upgrade on the Xerox site.

File Download: 061.121.224.18803-General Release

• Filename WorkCentre_7500-system-sw_061.121.224.18803.zip
    • Version 061.121.224.18803
    • Date Oct 31, 2016
    • Size 316.3 MB

does that sound like the ALTboot you are refering too??

Thank you very much Richard.Xerox, I really appreciate your advice.
    i hope you have a very nice day, Jim

Yes create a folder called altboot in the root of a USB drive and drop that dlm file in there. Then insert into machine and power on and software will reload.

These machines can be fussy with USB sticks though. Reccomend no bigger than 8gb and FAT32 formatted.

ok, yes i suggested that, as i am not sure if i can get into the web console as stated on the xerox site. and weather they would have any necessary passwords as i am certain its on a server. i ordered the fan and will see what transpires.

thank you for the great info. i will check the size of the file on the site.

i will re-post the outcome.

have a great day, Jim

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Xerox Work Center 7556 going dead, or taking long to scan, stops mid print etc

ok, yes i suggested that, as i am not sure if i can get into the web console as stated on the xerox site. and weather they would have any necessary passwords as i am certain its on a server. i ordered the fan and will see what transpires. thank you for the great info. i will check the size of the file on the site. i will re-post the outcome. have a great day, Jim

Jim ALTBOOT doesn't require a PC be on or to get into OP modes...

machine auto finds file in the altboot folder on USB and installs from there.. no tech intervention once the process starts

perfect. thank you.
    do i just use a blank USB drive and put the file i download from Xerox onto it. then just insert it into the USB port on the copier?

Jim

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

perfect. thank you.
    do i just use a blank USB drive and put the file i download from Xerox onto it. then just insert it into the USB port on the copier?

Jim
    USB drive 8gb or less formatted as FAT32. create a folder called altboot and drop the firmware dlm file in there.

ok, cool. i didn't remember that a USB drive could be formatted to FAT32. thought only HDD's.

i will get that going and have it with me when the fan arrives.

Thank you so much. Have a great day, Jim

Hi guys, thank you very much for the assistance.
    i received the fan from my old faithful east coast parts center. the old fan was making a slight noise and the heat sink was plugged.

at first i panicked as the parts book showed the SBC fan on the top of the chassis, but was twice as big as the one i received. but then i thought how you described the cooling and issues, and i thought there has to be a processor fan. i removed the metal cover and sure enough there it was.

and it the was the correct size.

i see that the parts book doesn't show that fan, nor the board it goes on that i can find. and i forget if it is actually the network board accessory card??

anyway, i did have the firmware for a altboot with me, but the machine seemed to be working fine so i will wait.

and i do appreciate all the explanations to me for the installation of that.Thank you all, and i hope you have a great day, Jim