so i went back. it is an intermittent problem. the job i saw was a 74 page double sided PDF and after the 8th page, it coded out.
i also found that some of the people couldn't print to it at all. they have half a dozen computers going to the network printer, but they are not on a server.

i looked at the onboard RAM and its 4 GB.

i also found that the exact error code isn't listed in the service manual.

i contacted my special Xerox parts people at Parts Drop in NJ, and they told me to input the code into the xerox website support page.
there is has a list of that code and how to change the settings in the computer/s from a WDS web services for devices to TCP/IP, and un switch the SNMP in the configure port.
that seemed to solve it.

but after, on another same model in another office, they couldn't scan from that one, but could print.

i found on a web page that the scan to settings need to be set to WSD.

so, i am hoping that i didn't create another problem where they can print, but not scan now.

i couldn't get it to scan, and was coming down with a cold, but their IT person appeared and seemed to be able to do the setup for scanning right on his wireless mac laptop, never touching their computers as i was .

things are changing my friends. old school rams head on to new school. DARN. (looking forward to social security.)

thank you so much for the help on this. i do appreciate it.
have a nice day, Jim