Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese parts!!

Technician

Chinese parts!!

Hi all
    Hit me lump of 4x2...
    Recently experimented in rebuilding some drums on Old Document Centre C450 (WorkCentre 7245)? using generic parts from China. The drums look the part but on testing they all print extremely dark image (but no background) plus I've had 3 deliveries of drum chips all of which do not work! They swear "I first person not work for".
    My question is what do you think would cause the over toning and is there a way to adjust toner density via a NVM adjustment?
    I like a challenge . . . . or am I hitting my head on a brick wall.
    cheers

Glenn

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Chinese parts!!

Re: Chinese parts!!

Quote Originally Posted by glenng View Post
    Hi all
    Hit me lump of 4x2...
    Recently experimented in rebuilding some drums on Old Document Centre C450 (WorkCentre 7245)? using generic parts from China. The drums look the part but on testing they all print extremely dark image (but no background) plus I've had 3 deliveries of drum chips all of which do not work! They swear "I first person not work for".
    My question is what do you think would cause the over toning and is there a way to adjust toner density via a NVM adjustment?
    I like a challenge . . . . or am I hitting my head on a brick wall.
    cheers

Glenn
    Generic parts are good for some things, not others. Drums, not so much. There are some "better" ones out there, but even they won't last as long or do as well as OEM drums.

For the dark image, you are likely out of luck. It is going to be far to far beyond what the built in adjustment procedures can deal with.

And yes, you are always the ONLY PERSON on the planet who has EVER BEFORE had any trouble with their "better than OEM, quality guaranteed" parts... *sigh*

Technician

Thanks for reply Caffiene.
    Yeah I guess I knew this to be the case. I thinking it's something to do with the charge coating on the drum, I was thinking along the lines of tweeking bias on pcr might improve things.
    The drum chips (from 3 different companies) all failed, they just resend or refund - surely they can't be making money or good will! But I guess there is a world full of chumps out there (like me) willing to give it a try.
    cheers
    Glenn

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Chinese parts!!

Quote Originally Posted by glenng View Post
    Thanks for reply Caffiene.
    Yeah I guess I knew this to be the case. I thinking it's something to do with the charge coating on the drum, I was thinking along the lines of tweeking bias on pcr might improve things.
    The drum chips (from 3 different companies) all failed, they just resend or refund - surely they can't be making money or good will! But I guess there is a world full of chumps out there (like me) willing to give it a try.
    cheers
    Glenn
    We're all chumps.

I've had excellent luck with chips. No problems there. I think the success may depend on the model. Not because there is any greater difficulty in one version over another, though. But a higher volume chip is likely to be more "established" because the refund/replace rate would be so high.

I've had meh-meh luck with fuser rollers. By and large, with Xerox's easily replaced fuser units, I've not found them to not be worth the trouble. I do keep one or two on hand for middle-of-the-night emergencies, though. I've had great success with cleaning blades. Some are better than others, but they're quite cheap so they are worth it. (Not drum cleaning blades... Just transfer belt. I've faded away from trying to do anything with drums. Not worth the trouble.)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Chinese parts!!

The design intent for WC72xx was that these machines would display a warning that the cartridge needed to be replaced, but would run to failure.. This is ok for machine software version 220.3 and upper. For your machine, I dont know if same nvm location change hardstop to warning for print cartriges.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Chinese parts!!

I never liked china made ANYTHING.

for PCU drums I have used these folks:
    Ink jet & laser toner cartridge supplier | Static Control

years ago I spent one week there training on refurbing HP mono carts ( yup SX so I am telling my age )
    the coating that the China based drums cannot hold up to anywhere near the life of SCC units..
    they (china) start out dark and quality can go either direction.

as for fuser etc.. various places... New Print in western carolina does fuser rollers and dev roller ..pcr's

just my 2 cents

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi I am sorry for joining this topic but do you have any experience with replacing transfer belt only (not whole unit) from China supplier?
    WC 7125

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Chinese parts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    Generic parts are good for some things, not others. Drums, not so much. There are some "better" ones out there, but even they won't last as long or do as well as OEM drums.

For the dark image, you are likely out of luck. It is going to be far to far beyond what the built in adjustment procedures can deal with.

And yes, you are always the ONLY PERSON on the planet who has EVER BEFORE had any trouble with their "better than OEM, quality guaranteed" parts... *sigh*
    I've actually had better results, lasting longer, etc with Chinese aftermarket parts. Most probably come from same factories in China. All the OEM's have China, etc make their parts. So 99% of OEM & aftermarket parts come from China anyway!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Chinese parts!!

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    I've actually had better results, lasting longer, etc with Chinese aftermarket parts. Most probably come from same factories in China. All the OEM's have China, etc make their parts. So 99% of OEM & aftermarket parts come from China anyway!
    China can make any quality level the customer requires. There is absolutely no lack of skill or capability. It is all price.

The cheap generic Chinese parts are not made to the same quality standards as the parts made FOR Fuji Xerox or Konica or Ricoh. Even if they're off the same manufacturing line.

Many times the generic parts you buy that "look" identical to the OEM part actually ARE the OEM part, made by the same company. But they were rejected by quality control for one reason or another for use in an actual Xerox or Ricoh or Konica branded product, and then sold as generic instead, rather than trashing them. The reason they were rejected can be anything, usually some parameter fell outside the customers specified range. They aren't technically defective, but they may not behave exactly right.

Sometimes you find winners, like your drum experience, but there is no guarantee of consistency over time. Not when you're paying aftermarket prices.

(Some may say the same thing about genuine Xerox parts, but that is a different gripe for a different day...)

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I never liked china made ANYTHING.

for PCU drums I have used these folks:
    Ink jet & laser toner cartridge supplier | Static Control

years ago I spent one week there training on refurbing HP mono carts ( yup SX so I am telling my age )
    the coating that the China based drums cannot hold up to anywhere near the life of SCC units..
    they (china) start out dark and quality can go either direction.

as for fuser etc.. various places... New Print in western carolina does fuser rollers and dev roller ..pcr's

just my 2 cents
    I need the Chinese software of xerox 5855