Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jack of All Trades 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nekorequest View Post
    I have been trying to set up the Scan to Email function for weeks (on and off), to no avail. On the Config report, Email says Installed/Enabled, the SMTP Server IP Address says 192.168.1.107, and the Default Email Address field is definitely showing my valid email address. When I try to scan something to send an email, it keeps printing these email confirmation reports that say Failed, and in my computer browser when I typed in the IP address for our Workcentre 4150, under the Alerts option, it says Error 15-320, saying there is a problem with the SMTP server. I think the problem might have something to do with the Properties setup I did. Under Connectivity, Protocols, and TCP/IP, I have no idea what I SHOULD be putting for the Host Name or the Domain Name. I've tried a few different options for both, but because I have no idea what these are supposed to be, it's likely that this is where my problem is coming from. I'm relatively technically savvy (it's just the terminology here that I'm lost on), and should be able to take instruction on this issue rather easily.

I've gone through the steps on the Xerox website itself, and walked through the details of the user manual that came with the printer. The problem is, nowhere does it define Domain Name or Host Name, and without knowing what these are or should be, I'm still stuck.
    I'm at the point where I'm going for blind trial and error, but this is taking a LOT of time, and I'm not having any luck.

Another possible problem is that a friend mentioned that I can't use an email address to send from that is already in use. Is this true, should I just make a generic Hotmail account or something to solve this part of my problem?
    Unsure if you can use a free email account. I think it's likely, however you'd need to get the SMTP settings from whatever free mail account you use.

In my experience with setting these machines up, we had a similiar issue once and it was due to the email address already being in use. The machine will need it's own email.

The systems administrator guide for this machine is fairly thorough. Have you tried downloading it from the Xerox site?

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    So lets go over this one more time. You have your own mail server which means you've entered the correct SMTP IP. I'm pretty sure you would also need authentication for an anonymous user. I hope you've already created a user name and a password on your server. On the machine, you must have enabled the SMTP authentication and entered the username and password. Other than that, I'm sure you've entered the IP address, subnet mask and gateway correctly... So what could possibly go wrong? What is the actual error code appearing on the machine's UI/ screen?

Technician
    I enter the email I want to send it to, I hit start, it scans in my document. It shows an image and says "Transferring" on the screen, then it pops out an Email Confirmation Report, and it says "Job Status: Failed"

Unless you have an idea how to untangle the confusion that now sits in my brain about this whole thing, I think I may just give up on this for now. We don't have an extra, unused email address for the office at this time, but we likely will in a few months when we add extra emails for new staff, and I'll just request an extra one at that time just for the Xerox.

Thank you, though

What is the actual error code on the machine? or probably print out a fault/ error history report pls. thanks

Technician
    There is no error code on the machine itself. The only information I get is the printout that says "Failed."

Quote Originally Posted by nekorequest View Post
    There is no error code on the machine itself. The only information I get is the printout that says "Failed."
    No ec, not even on the error history report ? This error is expected to be 016-xxx. Just want to narrow down what type of 016 error is this

5638 Hater
    nekorequest,

Just use your ISP's hostname or IP address for your SMTP (port 25). They don't require authentication most of the time, so just leave the Authentication under the SMTP server settings in CentreWare as none. If you use the hostname make sure you have your network's correct DNS information in the copier. As far as having a legit sender's email address? that's bogus. When I install this machine in locations all over southern Florida, I 100% of the time put DoNotReply@CompaniesDomain.com and if the company doesn't have their own domain for emails (smaller peer to peer networks) I just make one up that sounds good. It is just an email address that the machine needs to have to send an email out.

If you must use the exchange server I would suggest going to www.xerox.com and looking for the latest version of firmware for this machine. This isn't my favorite machine to work with and it does have it's more than fair share of problems.

at least it's not a 5638!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    This instruction has been made for P&G . May be it'll help you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guys, nekorequest is a tech savy so you don't have to instruct him on what to do. He's done all possible combinations (so to speak). Let's just wait on the result of what he's going to do next

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hard to Scrape and Start Over

Is this a tough machine to reload software on? I've never worked on one.

Sometimes that is what it takes . . I know we SHOULD be able to puzzle out the problem, and TechMate's request for a relevant EC will probably point to the solution, but after so many hours, I usually just give up and start over fresh. Sometimes you get a corrupted NVM that will be re-written with the new load.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, but what's a couple more hours?

I work mostly on the big iron, and when the techs can't figure out a problem they always point to the software. I tell them "It's never the software", and oblige with a reload. It gets them off their dime and back to figuring out what is really wrong with the machine. And sometimes, maybe once in twenty instances or so, the software load fixes it.