Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by XeroxTechBrazil View Post
    ... And sometimes, maybe once in twenty instances or so, the software load fixes it.
    Not on this one, I'm sure. Just be patient

WEAJD

Me Too

I have had problems setting up the scan to email feature as well.
    I have gotten it to work intermittently.

I have yet to setup my own Mail Server on my LAN, instead relying on outside WAN Mail Servers (e.g., I am using GODADDY to host POP mail account). I was able to set up the 4150 with its own email address and login ID.
    However, it was having problems logging into the SMTP server to send email.

I found when scanning in color that it would sometimes work. I attributed this to the fact that the scan would take longer and provide additional time for the 4150 to login to the SMTP server.

Thus, I have come to believe that the Scan to email will only function reliably when I have my own mail server setup on the LAN so that the 4150 can quickly communicate with the email server.

I don't relish scanning in color when I only need black and white. Particularly when the B/W scan speed is much faster.

BTW - I was playing with the default color setting in the Web setup page of the 4150 and this seemed to make a difference as well whether it would work or not. If I recall correctly, it had to be set to color as the default.

I have to admit, I have not yet upgraded the software so my problems may be alleviated by upgrading. However, I am a little concerned that if I upgrade the software I will then have to re-enable features. Since I purchased the 4150XF used, I don't know the codes for the upgraded features it has.

Cheers.

xbs3100
    Look at one of your workstations email setup. Find out what is the name of the SMTP server. Then, in windows, click start>run and type CMD in the box to get to a command prompt. once there, type:

ping mail.myisp.com (or whatever your SMTP server name is.

You should get a result of "pinging mail.myisp.com [68.123.123.1]"
    the ip address in the square brackets is the ip of the smtp server. Use that when you setup the 4150 as the ip address. The machine email address and the default from address have to be the same.

Also,if your email address at work is nekorequest@mywork.com, use mywork.com as the domain name. Don't use something like mail.myisp.com for the SMTP server unless you are certain DNS is setup correctly on the 4150. Use the ip you figured out in my directions above.

I do this on an almost daily basis for a Xerox dealer so this should help.
    Last edited by xbs3100; 06-16-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: bad link url

eg... at my side our isp is singnet the dns is 165.21.100.88 and the smtp is singnet.com.sg what i will do is set the dns to the m/c via the remote ui and set the smtp using >>>mail@singnet.com.sg this will work in my m/c good luck loh

xbs3100, your instructions are correct on a tech installer's point of view. However, If the client requires smtp authentication when sending from an anonymous user not defined in the mail server, they have to provide an smtp login and pw which needs to be entered into the m/c. Also, if the sending requires DNS, the client needs to provide this info to make it work

WEAJD

Smile Static IP Address Required for Email Scans

Gents:
    Thanks for all you comments. I finally have it working reliably for now.

I pinged the SMTP servers and used the IP address instead of the domain name. Set up the workcentre internet services using the web browser with the IP address. The printer has its own email address and login password to authenticate itself to the SMTP server. After the new setup, I got two scans to work and then nothing but failures thereafter.

So, I went back to the Workcentre 4150 "Getting Started Guide" and read over the TCP/IP settings page and the Email Setup Page. The Email setup page suggests (doesn't say requires) using a static IP address.
    I have been using dynamic addressing throughout my network to avoid overlapping IP addresses, allowing my router to set them. So I setup the 4150 to use DHCP to get its IP address. This works great for printing but not scanning to email.

I changed over from DHCP to static IP addressing using the IP address previously assigned by the router under DHCP. Voila!!! The Scan To Email now seems to work like a charm (Knock on wood ).

Thus I think the Scan to Email feature requires a "static IP address" for some reason. That suggestion under the Email Setup Page in the Getting Started Guide probably should have been a requirement.

If anyone can explain why it is a static IP address is required to get a reliable scan to email, I am all ears.

Thanks again for all of your comments. It inspired me to go work on it again this weekend.

jabturner
    Hi all.

sorry to jump on such an old thread but I thought it appropriate since my sitatuation is so similar to WEAJD.

I have a reconditioned 4150 in a very small office of 5, using GoDaddy to run our emails. Scanning to email works about 10% of the time and i have tried the usual port/SSL combinations (465, 25, 80 and 3535) .I am authenticating (both my email address and a spare one set-up for the printer) which both work perfectly and send and receive seemlessly through outlook/iphone's email.

I am sure it is not a settings problem (at least in respect to "email" and "SMTP Protocol" but I am now just so stumped as to what to try next. Like WEAJD i thought it might be a timeout issue as when it does work, it seems to prefer larger files (200k) to single page, small scans (50k).

I have also tried the ping tests recommended about but this seemed to fail for the smtp server which works through outlook.

Like the OP, I AM also the IT department by default, but I am not the sharpest tool in the box. If anyone might be able to help and spare me throwing it or myself out of a window, that would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Jo

WEAJD
    I have an update to this issue.
    I use GODaddy for my email server. However, I have another ISP provider.
    Often the ISP that you use will require you to use their outgoing mail server to avoid spam being sent.
    Instead of using GoDaddy's outgoing SMTP server I had to switch over to use the ISP's outgoing mail server to get a reliable connection.
    Otherwise, the ISP would sometimes deny the connection to GoDaddy's outgoing SMTP server from the 4150.
    If you use the proper ISP server outgoing SMTP server, I think the 4150 can be set to Dynamic or static when getting its IP address from a router.
    Hope this helps. It did solve my problem.

jabturner

Thanks

Thanks WEAJD, I really appreciate that.

Let me have a play with that today and I will let you know how I get on. I have also updated the firmware (just in case) so I have a host of variables to play with. that being said, however, I still don't really understand why email works faultlessly on the same settings and the scanner doesn't.

Here's hoping!!

Jo

mst

Unhappy

Gentelmen,

It looks like 4150 has a lot of problems and eventually I have stucked with one of them. I was able to setup
    EAMIL to SCAN in PDF and able to send emails; however, sometimes it just stuck saying "eamil transfering" and it takes forever to sand the email. There is no any errors just simply "TRANSFERING" and nothing. I can wait forever for getting that scan in email. After I turn it off / on and try again - it helps.

What do you think about that?

Please advice.

Thank You and have a nice day.