Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Arrow Xerox Workcentre 4150 - Problems with Scan-to-Email setup

I have been trying to set up the Scan to Email function for weeks (on and off), to no avail. On the Config report, Email says Installed/Enabled, the SMTP Server IP Address says 192.168.1.107, and the Default Email Address field is definitely showing my valid email address. When I try to scan something to send an email, it keeps printing these email confirmation reports that say Failed, and in my computer browser when I typed in the IP address for our Workcentre 4150, under the Alerts option, it says Error 15-320, saying there is a problem with the SMTP server. I think the problem might have something to do with the Properties setup I did. Under Connectivity, Protocols, and TCP/IP, I have no idea what I SHOULD be putting for the Host Name or the Domain Name. I've tried a few different options for both, but because I have no idea what these are supposed to be, it's likely that this is where my problem is coming from. I'm relatively technically savvy (it's just the terminology here that I'm lost on), and should be able to take instruction on this issue rather easily.

I've gone through the steps on the Xerox website itself, and walked through the details of the user manual that came with the printer. The problem is, nowhere does it define Domain Name or Host Name, and without knowing what these are or should be, I'm still stuck.
    I'm at the point where I'm going for blind trial and error, but this is taking a LOT of time, and I'm not having any luck.

Another possible problem is that a friend mentioned that I can't use an email address to send from that is already in use. Is this true, should I just make a generic Hotmail account or something to solve this part of my problem?

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Looks like you need to verify with your IT dept if the SMTP IP addr is really the correct IP. Another is if your server requires SMTP authentication, you must let the IT administrator create a user name and password to be entered into the machine. You may also need to specify DNS IP address that might be required

Technician
    Yeah..... I AM the IT department. We're only a small office, and I have more computer skills than anyone else in the office, so it's kind of a title by default...

Quote Originally Posted by nekorequest View Post
    Yeah..... I AM the IT department. We're only a small office, and I have more computer skills than anyone else in the office, so it's kind of a title by default...
    Well first thing's first, is your machine loaded with a software key for scan-to-email?

Technician
    Oooh, yes, THAT one I'm sure of

Again, I think my big problem is just that they don't really define what should be my host name, domain name, etc, anywhere on the Xerox site or in the instruction manual

Oooh, yes, THAT one I'm sure of

Again, I think my big problem is just that they don't really define what should be my host name, domain name, etc, anywhere on the Xerox site or in the instruction manual
    Host name and domain name are both optional. It does not have an impact on your system except in cases where you use the host name as a printer name and share name. But these two are not in any way affecting the scan-to-email function of the machine. I strongly suspect that your SMTP IP is just a relay IP. What we need is the true SMTP IP

Technician
    Does it matter that I'd be using an email that is already in use? I just need to use some kind of email as an outbound, and we don't have any spare ones for the office.
    If I can't use one already in use that way (through Outlook and regularly receiving email), can I try a free Hotmail one or something? I don't know how I'd get the right SMTP that way, though.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    check the port status & enable send Email, webdav, bonjour

Technician
    Yes, the "Enable Email" option is set correctly.

Does it matter that I'd be using an email that is already in use? I just need to use some kind of email as an outbound, and we don't have any spare ones for the office.
    If I can't use one already in use that way (through Outlook and regularly receiving email), can I try a free Hotmail one or something? I don't know how I'd get the right SMTP that way, though.
    You can use an existing email address as long as the machine will not be set to receive emails. I still think that your SMTP IP is only a relay IP, you need to know from your ISP what their true SMTP is. Thanks