Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Xerox 242

Technician

Xerox 242

I have been looking at the toner and drum cart's for the 242 and the 5000.

They seem to be very similiar. Will the 5000 bits go in the 242?

I suspect the toner won't because the 5000 uses oil in the fusing process, but the drums should be a similiar. Isn't the imaging system based on one another iyswim.

Thanks

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondian View Post
    I have been looking at the toner and drum cart's for the 242 and the 5000.

They seem to be very similiar. Will the 5000 bits go in the 242?

I suspect the toner won't because the 5000 uses oil in the fusing process, but the drums should be a similiar. Isn't the imaging system based on one another iyswim.

Thanks
    As long as the part numbers are the same, there shouldn't be a problem a 5000 bit to a 242. The best way to find out is to check the label on the box/ packaging. This will tell you what models are compatible with that bit (so to speak)

Technician
    It may be that the drum has a different coating with different properties, for which different voltages have to be used. I once bought a DC440 toner cartridge and tried to use it on the 230 because most of the physical parts are pretty much the same. It didn't work. Later I put a new chip in the 440 cartridge, programmed as 230 - Voila! It printed. But rather dark, with thick layers of toner being used. I adjusted the darkness settings and was happy with it for a while. Later I tried to refill it with a new 230 drum - the drum didn't fit! It uses a slightly different cog size. By swapping a small cogwheel from a 230 cartridge my 440 cartridge was finally converted into a fully compatible 230 cartridge! So there may be subtle incompatibilities that are not easily noticed. However you could probably buy a new 242 OPC drum very cheaply and put it in the 5000 cartridge, unless the cog sizes prevent this.