Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

DC432ST - be quiet, you're snoring too loudly!

When the DC432ST goes into sleep mode the fan in the ESS box remains on for some reason. I am quite sure it should not be necessary, and it is also a rather unpleasant sounding fan (describing it as a grinding sound would be going too far - I don't think the fan itself is defective, it just sounds rather irritating).

Is there any setting in the NVM which could be used to turn the fan off in sleep mode? The DC230ST fan goes out in sleep mode, but then the 432 has a more powerful processor.

Or do I need to put a thermal switch on the fan with a thermistor somewhere near the CPU?

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Replace the fan. The ess is hard wire to shut down if the fan fails (usually not fast enough to save the cpu). You can use any after market fan of the same size...
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
    The ess is hard wire to shut down if the fan fails
    Oh! And how does it measure the failure? By temperature? If it is by temperature then I should be able to put a thermistor in the fan to turn it off until the temperature gets above a cerain level. If it checks the current or resistance (open circuit) then it would be more complicated - I would have to try to fool the machine that the fan is in circuit by putting the current through a resistor or something.

Service Manager 100+ Posts deep's Avatar
    If the fan is a 4-wire type, the machine will detect the induce current from the fan motor when it rotate in order to determine the condition of the fan.

If you can introduce a proper current to the circuit, the machine will think the fan is in good condition and will be fooled around but it is dangerous to do so.
    Kenny