Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    hector787

4110 black toner is the same black toner of the docu color 260?

i know that the cartridge is diferent but i wanna know if i can put inside the 260 black cartridge a 4110 toner

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    4110 black toner is the same black toner of the docu color 260?

Quote Originally Posted by hector787 View Post
    i know that the cartridge is diferent but i wanna know if i can put inside the 260 black cartridge a 4110 toner
    Yes and no. From my own experimentation when I had an extremely long B&W job to run, I found that the 4110 toner was compatible with the 260 engine (WorkCentre 7675 in my case, but same engine same toner) in the sense that is didn't cause any print quality problems after several hundred thousand prints. In other words, the 4110 toner is physically compatible with the 260, and the 4110 toner includes a bit of developer in it as well, so that is fine.

HOWEVER, the 4110 toner does have a slightly different finish, owing to its target use being a B&W machine. It is not nearly as glossy as the real 260 toner. That may not seem like a big deal, but if you are printing a color document, which has a mix of color and B&W on it, or especially a graphic or photo which has a mix of color and B&W, the mismatched gloss level can be pretty distracting. Especially in a photo... It looks, bizarre. Difficult to describe. Suffice it to say, I would consider color prints with the 4110 toner "unsalable".

However, if you have a massive B&W job you want to run on your 260, it may be viable. If you have enough replacement RFID chips for the cartridges, of course. Do you have a solution for the RFID chips?

When you're "done" with the 4110 toner and want to switch back to the real stuff and regain your gloss, just switch back to a real cartridge and it will start feeding it in. I didn't notice any problems during the transition when I did it. Be aware, though, that it will take many many thousands of prints (depending on your coverage) to be essentially fully "switched back" to the legit toner because of the way the cartridges feed into a hopper, and then into the developer assembly. Over time the legit toner will displace the 4110 toner in the developer assembly and you will see your gloss levels return. But it takes a long time unless you print a lot of solid black pages to "flush" it faster. But that's a huge waste of toner.

Long story short: Yes, it works, but it is _distinctly_ matte compared to the real stuff. For pure B&W prints, it is A-OK. For color prints, or general usage, it is no-way-OK. But, I'd totally do it again if I had another 350k+ or so B&W job, and I'd probably switch back to the real black toner 20-30k BEFORE I finished my long B&W job so that the real toner would mostly be flushed back by the time it finished.