Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Xerox 2045/EX2000d Tray 4/HCF Problem

Hello!

I'm new to the forum. I'm self-maintaining a Xerox 2045 that I just purchased with a Fiery EX2000d controller and a high capacity feeder (DC131) / Tray 4 option.

Problem is, I cannot figure out how to print to Tray 4 through the Fiery using the driver in Windows (2000 or Vistal using the XP driver).

The Printer itself knows Tray 4 is there and will use it if you print from the scanner glass. However it shows up as being "inhibited" for auto-selection (red color on the touch panel.) But it works fine, powers up and initializes, and will print if you're doing a scan job.

Also, if you OPEN Tray 4, the Fiery displays a red flashing message on the flat panel clearly stating that "Tray 4 is open."

HOWEVER, it is not available in the driver as a tray selection on print jobs from workstations, and when you have the "Two Way Communication" setting turned on in the Driver Properties and you click the "Update Driver" button, it does NOT show Tray 4 and in fact will remove it from the Installed Options list if you have manually placed it there.

I believe the NVM location is set properly (DC131 NVM Read/Write through Diagnostic mode) but no matter what I try, I cannot use Tray 4 from any programs using the Fiery driver on my workstations talking to the Fiery RIP.

The RIP is an EX2000d 2.0 SP2 and is running Command Work Station 4.1.0.30.

All help greatly appreciated.

Solved my own problem (mostly)

I solved my own problem for all intents and purposes.

If you go into Administration mode you can select the priority of the trays and inhibit a different tray for auto-switching. You MUST select one of the 4 trays as inhibited if auto-switching is turned on.

So I made Tray 4 the first in the priority list and inhibited Tray 1 from autoswitching.

Then when you print from a workstation to the Fiery, you just leave the Paper Source as "Auto Select" and it starts feeding straight from Tray 4.

This will work fine on long run jobs and only takes 20 seconds to switch around if need be.

I still don't know why the Fiery driver isn't showing the High Capacity Feeder on the front end of the machine in "Two-Way Communication" but it's a moot point for me. I can manually set it this way and it works.

If anyone has a clue about why the HCF/Tray 4 might be invisible from the driver, I'd be interested to know, but Tray 4 can be used as first priority with this method.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I have a self maintained 5252 , i am getting Tray 4 next month, looks like you saved me some trouble. I use Creo Rip.

Hope it does

Yes, and there is one other thing:

It actually is possible to set the printer so that NONE of the trays are inhibited from autoselection. I screwed up on that part, you can in fact make all four trays autoselect simultaneously through the touch panel.

But yes, having Tray 4 set to Priority 1 makes it work as the first feed tray even though it isn't visible in the driver. Very weird. Hopefully the Creo driver won't have that problem for you.

If you have any problem setting up your HCF/HCS (we have both) just post a message. I also fixed a problem involving the High Capacity Stacker today involving the solenoid that raises and lowers the flipper plate that directs paper either into the stacker body or to the bypass tray.

Even if you line the machines up very well (we just installed it) and level everything perfectly, you might still get jams at the entry of the High Capacity Stacker with light weight (20 pound or less) paper. If that happens, you can remove one of the panels and nudge the position of the solenoid that moves the paper directing flap so that it moves just a tiny bit more, which completely solved the problem in our case. We've now tested the feeder/stacker combination on everything from 20lb cheapo bond to 80lb gloss cover and we're going to try 100lb cover tomorrow. We expect no trouble.

Good luck! Tray 4 is a nice piece of equipment if you're printing large volumes and so far we have had 0 jams from it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

i dont have HCS. All my prints are in maximum print size , full bleed.I am having machine for almost 2 years now, is serving me well, and giving me enough troubles too.ha.!
    good luck to you