Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

NSPlus/DT135 PS2

I am having trouble printing from a Windows box to my DT135. I have a SUN box with NSPlus server on it. It doesn't appear that networking is the issue as I can do the following:

Ping the print server
    Ping the printer
    Print from the print server to the printer

When I send a print job from Windows box, I get the usual Windows print error.

Suggestions?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Printing To An NS Plus

To print to an NS Plus server, you must set up an LPR printer. It's the same procedure for printing to a 6135/6180

From an XP box, Add Printer (de-select search function), choose Local Printer, and from the drop down box in the lower left corner, choose LPR. If LPR is not available, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add Windows Components and add: Networking Services, and Other Network and Print Services. Make sure the boxes are white with a black check.

When you continue the printer setup, you will get a box with two spaces, top is for the IP address of the NS Plus, and the lower is the queue name. You can find the queue name on the screen of the NS Plus and it's case sensitive. The Xerox default was NSPLUS_DT1, but you may find something simpler like Doc_1 The IP address of the NS Plus must be on the same subnet as your workstation. If you can ping it that's a good sign

The rest is just like setting up any other printer. There are a variey of drivers available, choose Xerox and in the right box, either 135 PS2 or a 6135 driver will work. The windows test page should immediately appear on the NS Plus.

The NS Plus does NOT use TCPIP to print to the DT135, but a (much) older protocol that dates back to the DIX days. The DT135 uses TCPIP to support an FTP client that allows file transfer back and forth between the DocuTech and an FTP server, hence the IP address on the Doc.

There is a search function on the NS Plus that allows you to find the Hex address (always starts with AA for a DocuTech) and associate it with the queue. This should not be necessary if the NS Plus came with the DocuTech you are printing to.

Beware also that the older NS Plus software will not digest the newer version Acrobat files. They appear briefly at the server and simply vanish. There are other file types that won't make it over, but they are less common. The server should be patched to at least 4.10.04.

The ultimate solution here is to convert the DT135 to a 6135 and lose the NS Plus.

Technician
    Thanks

Technician
    Hey, it worked like a charm! Your instructions were a lifesaver. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me get through this connection issue.

All the best!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

NS Plus Printing

You're welcome!
    Let me know when you want to lose the DT controller and NS Plus and convert to a 6135