Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Workcentre Pro 65

My network consists of two computers with crossover cable. We are trying to set scan to pc path from xerox wcp 65 printer/scanner to pc. IP for printer is 127.0.0.1, Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0,IP for pc is 127.0.0.5 and subnet mask 255.0.0.0. Since there is no router connection, gateway and dns values are not required. What path should be specified on the scanner properties?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    You are able to print to IP 127.0.0.1?! If you use "Xerox Network Scanner" just enter the machine's IP in properties

Workcentre pro 65 networking

If you already have 2 PC's connected with a crossover cable, you can't connect the WCP 65. You have to use a hub or switch or router for more than 2 devices to be networked. If you have 2 Nics in 1 PC, it can act as a router and/or switch. The IP subnet 127.0.0.0 is for internal networking and should not be used for addressing devices external to themselves. 192.168.x.x is reserved for private networks and should be used for what you are doing. It doesn't matter but most people use 192.168.1.0 subnet for private networking as most consumer equiptment defaults to it.

Since you are quite specific about what you have, I will assume you are using 2 Nics in 1 of the PC's and 2 crossover cables. If you can't figure out how to get the 2 Nics bridged, you will have to use different subnets on each nic(private lan) and enable routing either in the os or with a third party add-on. It's doable but a switch would be the easiest and cheapest route in the long run.

As for the scanning path: If you are talking scan-to-file, on the printer you must enter the ip for the computer that's running the ftp software and a valid user name and password. You don't need a path if the ftp software logs you into a default path for each user. If you need a path, try ftp'ing to the computer using the user and pw you set in the WCP and see where it connects you to. Some ftp server software works great and others don't. I use the war ftp server as it's free and works. If you are talking scan from desktop, Goshe is right but I didn't know you could do that from the WCP 65.

Technician
    My tech has now informed me tha I have made a mistake. Sorry. He says now that there will be only one computer and one crossover cable involved and needs scan to pc path. Thanks.