Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

xerox wc-4118 toner chip resetter, looking for a schematic or instructions to build

Anybody have a schematic on how to build a resetter? maybe code etc. I looked around the forum, but when i saw a robot got through and entered ads numerous times I gave up looking. So I started a new thread. I would like to build a resetter, but if you know another way I am all ears. I dont want to buy one for $100, that's too much. Or if you can tell me or point the way to a website that explains what chip it uses and whats on the chip so I can duplicate.
    I looked at the Eddie one, but the source for the usb thing is no longer there. I went to his website, as usual nothing there but an ad.
    Thanks for taking time to read this and helping

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    RECHARGERSTORE

Easy and not too expensive.

Technician
    If you get a third party replacement chip you can probably reset it easily with a serial programmer and the PonyProg2000 software. I have no idea about the WC-4118 specifically, but I have plenty of experience of resetting the chips on a DC440 series. The original Xerox chips are password protected, and cannot be reset (at least, not without a lot of research) - nor can they be read! The third party chips can be bought for a few Euros, and must be read by the programmer as a virgin chip before ever inserting in the machine - save a copy of the code, then you can reset the chips whenever you like. The other thing you need is a connector - get one from a scrap machine if you can, otherwise you'll have to make one yourself. The chip in the DC230 series and DC440 series third party is a 2402 serial EPROM, but the original is a custom Xerox chip, probably much the same but more protected. The DC440 series and DC230 series chips are the same, but with different (and incompatible) code. Incidentally the cartridges are also almost the same, but with subtle differences apart from the chip - the drum has a different sensitivity (and requires a different voltage) and has a different cog size, and the small cog that meshes with it is correspondingly different.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkyoaf View Post
    RECHARGERSTORE

Easy and not too expensive.
    We use this for M15, M20, 4118, and 2218.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    xerox wc-4118 toner chip resetter, looking for a schematic or instructions to build

Bhante, what voltage are you adjusting when you interchange cartridges? Xerographics, we thought, are the same - we've had to increase ros intensity on both types of boxes because of the age of the drum and the quality of the toner. Take out the Xerox and put in the generic (static sup), and the copies are twice as good. The drum travels faster in the 440 so the mag roll has to travel faster for better development so the drum gear is larger, the mag roll gear smaller. We use a programer purchased from an Ohio company. We can read the chips but not program them - we have have to use generics. The Lakes machines have proven unresettable even though we can read them - they seem to blow up. We have not tried the 4118 chip. Some of the X3545 are resettable - don't know why.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Bhante, what voltage are you adjusting when you interchange cartridges? Xerographics, we thought, are the same - we've had to increase ros intensity on both types of boxes because of the age of the drum and the quality of the toner. Take out the Xerox and put in the generic (static sup), and the copies are twice as good. The drum travels faster in the 440 so the mag roll has to travel faster for better development so the drum gear is larger, the mag roll gear smaller.
    Hello Scarecrow, interesting what you say. I do not interchange cartridges, I just mentioned the difference in case someone was thinking of doing so (the Rechargerstore website also makes a general statement that they can be interchanged when the chip is reprogrammed, but as I said there are other differences. I have never adjusted any voltages - in the old days when I was using 230's I found a 440 cartridge very cheap, and thought maybe it would work since it looks the same from the outside. The machine disagreed. I later swapped a programmable 230 chip and then the machine accepted it, but there were some problems with the print quality. The contrast was very good, but too much toner was being deposited so that the toner layer was too thick. It looked OK, but obviously the toner will then come off the paper too easily. You also get a lot less pages out of the cartridge. The technical from our toner supplier then told me that the 440 drum has a lower sensitivity, and the voltage is correspondingly higher to compensate.

What you say about increasing ros intensity is interesting because I have always wondered how I can improve print quality, but what do you mean about the age of the drum and the quality of the toner? For ordinary text I get good blacks and clean whites, but for greyscale images and larger areas of black the quaility is not very good - with newly opened original Xerox toners (recent dated). This is apparently related to the age of the machines - I have the original test prints from when the machine was new (previous owner) and they are pretty good. But if there is something I could adjust or replace to get better image quality I would be very interested. But unfortunately I don't have the Edocs for DC440 so I am somewhat in the dark. The other quality issue I have with my 440's is that the toner fixing is not really adequate and the toner rubs off much too easily - even on normal office paper let alone smooth paper.

We use a programer purchased from an Ohio company. We can read the chips but not program them - we have have to use generics. The Lakes machines have proven unresettable even though we can read them - they seem to blow up. We have not tried the 4118 chip. Some of the X3545 are resettable - don't know why.
    You mean you can read and write the generics but only read the original Xerox chips? The reset chips have a serial EEPROM IC inside. With the DC230 and DC440 the IC in the generics is a 2402 but in the original Xerox it is a custom chip with built-in protection to prevent reading. To access the chip the printer will have to provide a password. If the chips blow up you are probably using the wrong programming voltage - it is IC dependent.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Bhante, what voltage are you adjusting when you interchange cartridges? Xerographics, we thought, are the same - we've had to increase ros intensity on both types of boxes because of the age of the drum and the quality of the toner. Take out the Xerox and put in the generic (static sup), and the copies are twice as good. The drum travels faster in the 440 so the mag roll has to travel faster for better development so the drum gear is larger, the mag roll gear smaller. We use a programer purchased from an Ohio company. We can read the chips but not program them - we have have to use generics. The Lakes machines have proven unresettable even though we can read them - they seem to blow up. We have not tried the 4118 chip. Some of the X3545 are resettable - don't know why.
    Mr. B, Your are correct, the generics seem to be the 2402, at least the ones we are working with, and are programable. I have tried to program OEM chips - after loading the chips file - and the chip will not take it. Nor will it take any manual programing I do. It's as if there is a switch that has to open to let it in - the serial #(?). I can also read an expired chip, but I can't even erase it - there is still data there I can see such as "Xerox" and a few other symbols. There is a 5 volt switch that can be used if the 2402 doesn't program - tried it - doesn't do the job. What would be interesting is to see if I can read the new oem into a generic 2402. Haven't tried it!

For the 440, dc131 6-60, 61,& 62 (text & text photo, photo, & image intensity). Range is 26-93. for the 230 I think it's 6-80 or so - you'll be able to finger it out. We increase it to 75 or 80 or even more. Clean the seal glass between the cartridge and the laser. If the copy is light ib to ob, the polygon is dirty.
    Hope this helps,
    Glenn

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    thanks all for replying, any idea what is the same as a wc 4118? I went to the recharge store but i didn't see the 4118 chips there. Chips are cheap enough and retesetters. Tempted to get a chip and play with it. I suppose I could register, but hate to if If I cant find what i am looking for.