Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    jasons

Red face xerox 510 DP wide printer/plotter

i am about to post the dumbest question yet. i should mention that i am putting myself out there like this for others who might be intimidated by this site... i'm a giving person )
    i am supposed to check the drum on our printer to see if it needs changing. apparently that's fairly easy to determine by looking at the drum to see if it is scored, scratched or otherwise damaged. the tough part seems to be figuring out how to open the cover it looks like it should just lift open, but it doesn't and I can't find a release anywhere. we still have the user manual but it only tells you how to open the back cover, which just lifts up (of course). i bet ALL of you know how to open the top cover! anybody want to tel me? thanks guys.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    xerox 510 DP wide printer/plotter

Re: xerox 510 DP wide printer/plotter

Remember the only stupid question is the one that is not posed! Actually, the question you have is not one that a customer is ever expected to know. Opening the machine and accessing the drum is something that typically only a technician would do.

Facing the front of the machine, look at the rear left side of the printer. You will see a hole with a nut inside the hole. You need a 7mm nut driver to engage this nut. Give a quarter turn CCW, and the left side door will pop open. Once this door is open, it releases the top cover. Raise the top cover by lifting the edge nearest the front of the machine. The cover will latch into the open position once it is fully raised.

Once you have the top cover open, you will notice a unit that is black which runs from side to side in the machine. Along the top perimeter of this unit, there is a foam seal. This unit pivots up from the front towards the back of the machine. Once this is pivoted into the up position, the top surface of the drum is exposed. If you need instructions about accessing the entire drum, let me know.

Good luck!