Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Nickel & Dime pounding....  Xerox Docucolor 242 help....

Nickel & Dime pounding.... Xerox Docucolor 242 help....

I've recently taken over an account where the client, who is a printer, was literally abusing the heck out of a Xerox Docucolor 242. The frame, a lot of spots throughout the housing unit around the toners and drum unit housing, along with around the IBT had massive piles of toner that sat there for ages without someone cleaning out the machine. So now when you clean it out, it doesn't matter, those spots have become slightly magnetized or susceptible to induced static and within a very short number of runs the accumulation of toner builds up rapidly. Of course there are other areas of the machine now that are constantly troublesome. The IBT's don't seem to last, toner obviously goes by much faster than it should and drums, because of the free floating particles of toner in the machine, wear out much faster.

I've tried everything I can think of in regards to finding a solution to the magnetized "hotspots" and the client inherited this machine in a business purchase, so isn't quite able to upgrade yet. Is there anyone who has some secrets on helping bring life back to abused machines that are on their last leg? ESPECIALLY Xerox Color unit.

OBVIOUSLY the real choice here is to UPGRADE, but as mentioned, not an option just yet. I'm seeking some helpful tips that may keep Frankenstein alive just a little longer.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Nickel & Dime pounding.... Xerox Docucolor 242 help....

First of all you need to do a very good cleaning of the copier. Be aware the drums is very ligth sensitive. Also do a deep cleaning of IBT Assy. There is a lots of optical sensors. And dont forget to clean or change the filtres.
    It a good choice to have a service manual when do you do that.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

There are magnetizer and demagnetizer tools out there...google search them.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I have never seen a frame get magnetized by customer abuse....very strange indeed. If you are looking for help on Xerox docucolor products I would suggest trying a site called xertech.org....you will find a lot of docucolor techs there.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Do they have an alluminum frame? If so they shouldn't even be able to get magnetized.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Need to strip it down , clean it thoroughly and reassemble. I do a lot of refurbs and thats the best way to do it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Cool Re: Nickel & Dime pounding.... Xerox Docucolor 242 help....

Thanks gentlemen for the replies. for an update, I'll post a more detailed description of my efforts thus far. As mentioned above, I did thoroughly clean the machine and paid extra close attention to the sensors, seals/blades and even went so far as to replace any developer units that were past 50% of life suspecting the Cyan and Black may have been weak.

I then made sure that every single spec was on target, checked to ensure that none of them were using more or less power than the tolerances.

As for the frame being magnetized, I'm not sure of the total overall composite of the frames, but you can take a magnet and it will attract to any copier frame out there, so it does have the metal composite to attract a magnetic field. Any magnet can verify a machine's capability by simply doing the magnet test. Secondly frames "have to" be able to be conductive of electricity so that the machine can work properly.

As for the Demagnetized tools, I have tried several in the past without any luck. Could you please recommend some good ones? Basically with a demagnetizing tool, the tool will work, but within less than a week's time, it magically seems to return.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something, or I don't understand something important that is characteristic of this particular machine.

Again, thank you for the great advice and the time spent to post it. I'm also glad to see that a lot of the things suggested here I had tried, which makes me feel like I was heading down the right path anyway..

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

After carefully re-reading one post.. I did not change the filters as they looked good. I will now go back and change them no matter what they look like. And thanks to the technician that posted that special Xerox tech website. Much obliged!!

Chris