Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Error Code 124-314 + Technical Question

Hello again

It would seem I am still having problems with the printer. After replacing the EEPROM, and syncing the serials I now have error 124-314; IOT Speed Fault. The printer is a Xerox DocuColor 240 without finisher or high capacity feeder.

From what I can gather, the wrong settings are in the chip (SYS1) and have been copied across to the other two (IOT and SYS2). The printer is now unusable - I have tried NVM initialization from both the diagnostic menu and the PWS software, and have gone through checking the NVM values but I cannot get it working.

I understand that under normal conditions you would have to send away for a new properly programmed EEPROM chip from Xerox. It seems however that while the chip is a simple 24c08 EEPROM which I can get for £0.24p, the supplier I contacted wants £180 for a replacement chip from Xerox! I don't even believe that includes programming either. The main concern also is the time involved, as the machine is now useless.

The only fix I've been able to find is to replace IOT, SYS1 and SYS2 with programmed ones from Xerox. I really don't want to have to do this if possible though.

Here's the technical bit:

I'm fairly familiar with electronics and using an Arduino microcontroller I've put together a simple EEPROM reader, and I have been able to view all of the data stored on the chip. It seems to have been wiped of the correct settings, although I have found the serial number and product number in there. I'm hoping that if I can put the right settings in there, such as the IOT speed, then I might be able to salvage the situation without having to go through Xerox. Once it works, I'd also be able to copy the data onto another eeprom very easily (as I said they are about 24 pence each, found on CPC), meaning I can have a backup, and also anybody else could too if something similar happened to them.

Also if required I believe this process could be used to modify other settings such as billing meters if they are incorrect, although obviously the main idea here is to get the printer working again.

If anybody has any ideas that might help, or know how I could salvage the printer, I'd happily help in return by offering programmed backup EEPROM chips for these printers which could restore these settings if anything ever went wrong. I can easily change the product number and serial to match any printer upon request. I'd only ask enough to cover my costs.

Thank you in advance to anyone who might be able to help, this is really important to get working again as I'm sure you can understand.

Technician

Re: Error Code 124-314 + Technical Question

Oh, thought I should add that I tried to do the "Forced NVM Initialization" by holding down Stop, Power Save and 3, but it didn't seem to do anything - I'm not sure if I did it right. By Stop does it mean suspend? (the button above start). I could successfully get it into Download Mode so I wondered what the problem was here...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The only way to fix this is to get Xerox to reprogram the boards with the correct serial number. Sorry.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Milo Wilson View Post
    The only way to fix this is to get Xerox to reprogram the boards with the correct serial number. Sorry.
    Thanks for the reply. I can program the EEPROM with the correct serial number myself, it's just that I can't correct the IOT speed fault. Any ideas there? Obviously the boards need more than just the serial numbers.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Do you have the old parts?

If so, visit SearchLite doc # 708497 on your PWS for a possible resolution.

If not, SearchLite doc # 708497 describes what has to be done if not recoverable.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by XeroxTechBrazil View Post
    Do you have the old parts? If so, visit SearchLite doc # 708497 on your PWS for a possible resolution. If not, SearchLite doc # 708497 describes what has to be done if not recoverable.
    I don't have the old parts unfortunately no, but I will definately check out that document. Thank you .

Technician

Hello again guys.

I'm coming pretty far with programming the EEPROMs. The 24p 24c08 ones I ordered from CPC have arrived and they work perfectly as direct replacements for the Xerox SYS1 chip, which I believe Xerox charge £180 for! I've been using these as testers rather than risk messing up the original any more than I already have, but the printer doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference.

I've so far managed to program in the Serial number, product number, machine type, location settings and billing data myself using a microcontroller, although it's taken a LONG time to figure out where all the data is located on the chip. If anyone wants this info btw, I'm happy to share it.

I've finally found where the IOT speed is stored (I think) which is what is missing currently and causing my 124-314 error, but I've no idea what it should be set to.

Could one of you lovely people have a look on your PWS and see what your NVM setting is for 700-601? If you'd be able to do that it's be a great help.

Technician

Hi guys.

Sorry to bump, but could anyone give me their value for 700-601 on a DocuColor 240/250?

Thanks!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I'll look that up today but I am really interested in what you have done to program the chip.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

dc 242

700-600 65020
    700-601 65020
    700-602 65020