Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Differences in Xerox Developers

Does anyone know, with certainty, the different "sizes" of Xerox's developers?

The main thing I would like to figure out is if the DC5000 Developer Assembly (which uses the 2045/6060/8000 toner) has a different "gap" between the mag roller and the doctor bar than the 250/700 Developer Assembly (which use the EA/EA-Eco toner).

If so (which I believe I remember it mentioned here that that IS the case) what would happen if you use a DC5000 assembly with 250 or 700 toner? (I'm guessing going in this direction, the gap would be larger than the 250/700 developer is designed for.) Conversely, what would happen if you used a 250/700 developer assembly in a 5000, where the gap is presumably "smaller" than the 5000 is designed for.

Background for WHY I'm asking... I have found a generic toner which I like the finish and quality of, for use in my DC250, however the developer provided is of very low quality. I would prefer to use genuine Xerox developer. Much more reliable. However, the 2045/6060/8000/5000 developer is MUCH more economical than the actual 250 developer, so I would like mix it with the pure generic toner (I know all the exact correct ratios), but don't know if it would be necessary to change my 250 dev assemblies to 5000 dev assemblies to accommodate the fact that the developer being used would be the 5000 style.

Sorry for the bizarre question... I love playing around with toners like this. But I've only ever used actual 250 developer with generic/alternative toners before, not the 6060/5000 developer.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Differences in Xerox Developers

oh man and i thought I was experimenting .I am sorry I donno how to help you on this but I am certainly keeping an eye on this thread.

FYI i use DC250 developer assembly on the DC5000's it works just fine with genuine DC5000 developer and toner
    a machine is only as good as your tech : source:screwtape ; the scary one

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidj7 View Post
    FYI i use DC250 developer assembly on the DC5000's it works just fine with genuine DC5000 developer and toner
    That's good to know! Have you been using this combo for a significant amount of time? (A lot of this toner related fiddling doesn't fail right off the bat, but after a while...) About how many cartridges of 5000 toner would you guesstimate you've run through with that 250 dev assembly?

And you've not noticed the tops of your developer assemblies getting covered with toner dust?

Thanks for the good info!

i have been using it for over a year and have no IQ issues it runs as good as dc5000 dev assy. I would safely say i would have used at least 30 sets of toner and 2 dev assy are of DC5000 and 2 are of DC250 all A OKAY.no noticeable toner spillage to differentiate the dev assy's

Do keep me posted on the generic toner developments.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidj7 View Post
    i have been using it for over a year and have no IQ issues it runs as good as dc5000 dev assy. I would safely say i would have used at least 30 sets of toner and 2 dev assy are of DC5000 and 2 are of DC250 all A OKAY.no noticeable toner spillage to differentiate the dev assy's

Do keep me posted on the generic toner developments.
    Excellent! That is certainly a long-enough run through period! haha

Will keep you up to date. Feel free to shoot me a private message to and we can exchange emails addresses if you like.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

is the toner the same finish as the original 250 toner?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azehnali View Post
    is the toner the same finish as the original 250 toner?
    Not at all. It's actually completely matte. Almost chalky. But that's actually exactly what I want. I have one machine that uses authentic ink, and so is a little bit glossy, and I want this one to be completely flat.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Where are you getting the toner

caffeine: you have a pm with my e-mail .

What other models are you experimenting?

Technician

Hi can we use the DC 5000 developer material in a dc 250 developer assembly and use it on a dc 250.