Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Unhappy Issues with Two DC240s - Urgently need working for print jobs

Hi all

We have two DC240s with a Fiery Rip, which we've named Doris and Boris.

Issue 1) Boris works okay, but does not record toner/consumable usage. In both the printer status window and in command workstation, the toners and drums etc all show 100%. This is definately not the case as both black toners ran out today and all prints became starved. After replacing both cartridges and reeling off about 300 prints it started working again, but the printer still shows full on all cartridges. I even switched the printer off, removed both black toners completely and turned it back on. Still reported as full and threw no error. I do have a PWS if required.

Issue 2) Doris, our newest printer which has been perfect until recently, has started printing yellow/cyan lines on each page which has an image. It only puts a line on images, not over blank space or text. It is also only across one horizontal area of the page, and does not appear anywhere else.
    Tried so far:
    - Replacing Drums
    - Replacing Corotron
    - Replacing Fuser
    - Cleaning IBT
    - Blasting printer out with air (worth a try)
    - Restarting
    - Changing Toners

All to no avail. I suspect it may be the ROS mirrors that need cleaning but I am unsure how to get to this part to clean it.

Picture of fault:
    print_error.jpg

Both printers need to be in working condition as they are constantly in use. Already 2 jobs have had to be cancelled.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, and sorry for the long post (wanted to be thorough)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Issues with Two DC240s - Urgently need working for print jobs

Go to image quality, select single color, select cyan, select letter size, raise the document feeder, press start. Do this for magenta and yellow and see which color has the void streak. Replace the developer for that color. The other one I have no clue.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Issues with Two DC240s - Urgently need working for print jobs

I would log into each with a web browser and compare the settings side by side.

Match them point to point in the interface and you have fixed two boxes with one nail.

Or killed two birds with one stone. Same/Same.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Technician

Thanks guys, although I struggle to see how either of those solutions will correct the issues.

I did consider developer, but the symptoms I'm having don't match what happened when the magenta/black developer ran out in two of our printers. It isn't starved or patchy, it has a solid line across the image.

Both printers should be set with exactly the same settings as far as I know. Even if they weren't, why would this cause one to ignore consumables, and one to suddenly start printing bad? Doris (the one with the lines) has been working up until the last couple of days... not sure how long Boris has been ignoring ink levels etc. though.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Issues with Two DC240s - Urgently need working for print jobs

Boris machine has corrupted nvm's or low 3.3 voltage. What software level is on it ?
    As for Do... make a copy from platen glass. Use a magazine or a photo for original.
    If the line is still there then the problem is into machine. If copy looks good then the problem is into a Fiery or Vsel machine pwb.

Technician

Thanks . That makes sense. I'm not sure what software version Boris is running, but I will check as soon as I get in to work this afternoon. Corrupt NVM values makes sense - the whole NVM had to be reset a little while ago as one of the chips went faulty. I managed to reprogram it myself from scratch with a microcontroller but it's very possible something is not correct in there.

As for Doris, I will try doing the copy today and see how it goes. I'm fairly sure it's a hardware issue as it matches what people have said about lines on the ROS mirror - still at a loss as the best way to clean it though, but I will give the copy a go .

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

This is how to clean the ROS:

It is very unlikely that the ROS mirrors or lens are dirty. The ROS units are sealed. It is pretty common that the windows get dirty.

Remove the transfer belt assembly.

Just above the transfer belt assembly you'll see the 4 windows that allow the lasers to shine down on the belt.

There are 2 laser units, each with 2 windows.

I would suggest not using any kind of cleaning fluid but instead just a soft dry cloth.

You might need to attach a small bit of cloth on something long so that you'll be able to reach all the way across the window from one end to the other.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Exok View Post
    This is how to clean the ROS:

It is very unlikely that the ROS mirrors or lens are dirty. The ROS units are sealed. It is pretty common that the windows get dirty.

Remove the transfer belt assembly.

Just above the transfer belt assembly you'll see the 4 windows that allow the lasers to shine down on the belt.

There are 2 laser units, each with 2 windows.

I would suggest not using any kind of cleaning fluid but instead just a soft dry cloth.

You might need to attach a small bit of cloth on something long so that you'll be able to reach all the way across the window from one end to the other.
    I'm sorry but it is VERY likely the ros mirrors or glass are dirty. They didn't start sealing the ros assy's until the 242 family and even then they still get dirty from time to time.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

Fine, edit out the VERY. Would you like to explain how to remove the ROS assemblies and clean the mirrors and lens?

Technician

Right... I think I have cleaned the right place, although I'm not certain.

Is it directly above the belt, with four windows running along the width of the belt? Or is it the part to the left of the black drum area (with a sliding black guard of some type)? I've removed all the trays and cleaned everything I could see, but there is still a yellow line. It also does the same when copying as it does when I send a file from the PC.

Am I looking in the right place? I don't know how obvious the ROS windows are.

Thanks .