Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WorkCentre 5230 Serial Number Synchronization Fails

We have a fully functional Xerox WorkCentre 5230 in our shop that we use as a test machine and as a source of quick replacement parts. Yesterday I was called out into the field to repair another, separate WC 5230.

As part of the repair attempt, I pulled the MCU PWB (along with the EPROM chip) from the shop machine and took it out and installed it into the broken machine in the field. Per the service documentation, I synchronized the serial numbers as outlined in GP 4. This all went smoothly, but it did not resolve the original problem with the field machine as I had hoped. I returned the original parts to the field machine and brought the shop machine parts back to the shop.

Now I am trying to put the shop machine back together so that we can continue to use it. I have re-installed the original MCU PWB and EPROM chip, and I am now doing serial number synchronization on the shop machine (because the EPROM has now been synched to the broken field machine.) All appears to be going well, except that when I complete the synchronization process, I get the following message:

An error has occurred.
    Unable to start.

The synchronization fails, and the serial number does not change. I have tried restarting the machine and going through GP 4 several times, but the result is always the same.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by nerdjarrett; 07-30-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Question Re: WorkCentre 5230 Serial Number Synchronization Fails

I'm having a similar problem going thru the GP4 serial# synchronization, with that same message "An error has occurred. Unable to start."
    Anyone have any ideas??
    -kurtray

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: WorkCentre 5230 Serial Number Synchronization Fails

Quote Originally Posted by nerdjarrett View Post
    We have a fully functional Xerox WorkCentre 5230 in our shop that we use as a test machine and as a source of quick replacement parts. Yesterday I was called out into the field to repair another, separate WC 5230.

As part of the repair attempt, I pulled the MCU PWB (along with the EPROM chip) from the shop machine and took it out and installed it into the broken machine in the field. Per the service documentation, I synchronized the serial numbers as outlined in GP 4. This all went smoothly, but it did not resolve the original problem with the field machine as I had hoped. I returned the original parts to the field machine and brought the shop machine parts back to the shop.

Now I am trying to put the shop machine back together so that we can continue to use it. I have re-installed the original MCU PWB and EPROM chip, and I am now doing serial number synchronization on the shop machine (because the EPROM has now been synched to the broken field machine.) All appears to be going well, except that when I complete the synchronization process, I get the following message:

An error has occurred.
    Unable to start.

The synchronization fails, and the serial number does not change. I have tried restarting the machine and going through GP 4 several times, but the result is always the same.

Any help is appreciated.
    So - What was the original problem on your field machine that may have taken out its original mcu and now your replacement? We install the machines original eprom on the replacement mcu.

Original problem with the field machine was error code 010-327, which indicates a problem with the fuser. Replaced the fuser, and issue was not resolved. Started working through the service manual, which eventually suggested I try replacing both the power unit and the MCU PWB. I tried the power unit first, with no improvement.

When I went to replace the MCU PWB, I first tried using the new MCU with the old EPROM, as you suggested. This led to some strange symptoms. The machine indicated that the toner was at 0% (which it was not) and that the drum was missing entirely (which it was not.) I thought that perhaps there might be something wrong with the EPROM itself, so I then installed the new MCU with the new EPROM, ran GP 4 to synch serial numbers, and things went downhill from there.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Put the original MCU into shop machine. Install blank new eprom. Check if the eprom chip make good contacts on socket. Reseat all connectors on mcu. Power on machine and 41-363 error code should display.
    Do IOT nvm init and after that change to 1 742-009 nvm location.
    Exit from diagnostics and after machine reboot 124-3xx error code pop-up on machine UI.
    Perform GP4 ( select SYS1 or SYS2 when doing GP4 ) Exit diagnostic and reboot and same 124-3xx will display but there will be a CLOSE icon in the upper right corner of the UI. Push on the icon and that is.

Aha! I like this idea of installing a new, blank EPROM and working from there. We actually pursued this strategy as part of our original troubleshooting. However, we have thus far been unable to find any way to buy a blank EPROM. The service manual for this machine does not call out a part number specifically for the EPROM chip. It only has a part number for the entire MCU PWB. (I assume that if you buy a whole new MCU, they send you a blank EPROM with it, but I don't even know that much for sure.)

We tried contacting Xerox ASP Support and also the third party website The Parts Drop. Both of them told us that they cannot provide us a blank EPROM. They can only sell us a new MCU PWB.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where I might get a new, blank EPROM?

Read what is write on the eprom chip and contact a electronic device dealer or store. It's a I2C chip as I know.

Markings on the EPROM chip are as follows:

-----
    (STMicroelectronics Logo)
    CHN P
    24C64WP
    K6H023
    -----

Google turns up quite a few results for the "24C64WP" string, and some of the chips in the pictures look very similar. However, nothing that I see matches the second set of numbers (K6H023). In fact, Google turns up nearly nothing for the second string anywhere at all!

Are the second set of numbers important, or just the first?

We are in a remote small town, so we will almost certainly have to order this part from an online retailer. Does anyone have a favorite electronics dealer that might carry the part we are looking for?

It is I2C cmos eeprom 24c64, 64 Kbytes capacities. Very common chip. It's is used in tv sets, cordless phones, radio car sets, etc.

PS

If Google dissapears what do you do ?

Do you think it is critical that I find a chip where all of the markings match exactly, or can I just find an I2C CMOS EPROM 24c64 with the correct pin configuration and that will be close enough to work?

Thank you for all of your help!