Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

[042-326] IBT Belt problems (Docucolor 240)

The machine continues to give fault code 042-326, which is the IBT Belt. Upon initial inspection, the belt cleaner was very dirty and the PWS called for replacement of the IBT Belt Cleaner. We tried cleaning it out very good, and putting it back together. We reset the NVM location of 741-105 to 0. We aligned the belt. We got the same error code. In diagnostics>Subsystem>Belt Edge Learn, it did not complete because it had an error. We tried super-gluing a small square of aluminum foil to the inner edge at the proper place to strengthen the sensor's reading of the home position on the belt. Same results. We just installed a new IBT Belt Cleaner ($220). No change.

As the next step, I'm thinking that I will buy a new IBT Belt (another $250) and see if that helps...

Any other ideas?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: [042-326] IBT Belt problems (Docucolor 240)

First thing is to check the sensor to be sure it's a working one and see the silver patch.
    Next thing is to check if the belt itself is moving at the right speed.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by adriansto View Post
    First thing is to check the sensor to be sure it's a working one and see the silver patch.
    Next thing is to check if the belt itself is moving at the right speed.
    Ok, how do you do both of these operations?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Service manual it's your best friend for these tasks

Technician

I verified that the home position sensor does indeed detect paper. I have a new IBT belt, so the reflective mark is fine.

But I also see that the belt itself is not moving at all. With PWS, I can turn on the drive motor. I hear a little noise coming from motor for about 5 seconds, and then it stops. It seems to me that this is the problem. However, there is some sort of action happening.

I can manually turn the motor when the IBT tray is out of the machine, so it's not jammed gears...

Do you think:
    1. Bad drive motor
    2. Bad controller

Where to go from here?
    Thanks in advance, Tim

Senior Tech 250+ Posts InterfaceP's Avatar

Did you reset the NVM value?

You could have a bad sensor.

If the motor is running it should be fine. Remove the left side panel, exposing the IBT belt edge and see how much its moving.

Sometimes replacing a suspected unit with a good one is the best way to determine your problem.

Not attempting to SPAM you but, I have several parts machines I use for reasons like yours. If you experience sticker shock for a new one, send me a message and I could possibly work something out with you.

Technician

Yes, I reset the NVM value. The sensor detects paper when I insert it, but I haven't totally gotten it to read the home position on the belt with certainty. So possibly a sensor, but small chance...

The motor hums, but the belt is not moving at all. Can't remove the left panel easily because of oversize paper supply attachment, but I can look in from below after removing fuser and see that *belt is not moving at all*...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts InterfaceP's Avatar

I was just reading the RAP and i didn't see where it gives you a IBT belt motor code.
    [Select [042-016 IBT Steering Motor (CW) High Current] and [042-017 Steering Motor (CCW) High Current]."]

Is this what you used? If so thats not the IBT belt motor.

Check to see if it rotates upon start up. The best way is to unlatch your HiCap and roll it away so you can remove the left side panel. Open the door to the attachment and push the screw that sits at about 30o away from you and pull the HiCap away. This way you will be able to definitively know if the belt moves.

Also:
    Check the 2nd BTR. make that it turns freely and does not cause the belt to drag. Clean, repair, or replace as required ( PL 4.1).

Make sure its not stuck in the up position.

I hope I was of help.

Technician

You are being VERY helpful - thank you so much for writing.

I did not energize the IBT steering motor, although those both seem to be working (hums when activated and the belt had been "steered off" one time)...

There is another code for the IBT motor, at 4 different speeds.

I will check the belt on startup by removing the left panel, the next time I'm in the office... Thank you!

Tim