Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Xerox printer/copiers HDD specs

A customer has the following Xerox models. All have HDDs. He is asking that the HDDs be removed, erased and a certified erasure report be supplied. These are leased units and must return the HDDs with the units.

Does anyone know the HDD physical size (2.5", 3.5") and interface type (SATA or IDE)?
    WC7345P
    WC7675P
    W5687PT
    5655PT
    4260XF
    P4595

Thanks

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Xerox printer/copiers HDD specs

Most of these machines should actually support secure erase themselves.

If the wc's have external controllers they also have separate hdd's

But tbh, you really don't want to take them out and wipe everything on it, these discs also include the system software for the printers, and if you wipe them your printer will not function until a Xerox certified tech has reloaded the soft/firmware.

So look in the manuals if the machine's support disc encryption or secure erase, and use that feature, it wipes the data part of the disc but leaves the firmware. That would be my course of action.

Daan

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I agree with Daan,

by completely removing the hard drive and erasing it you are now making the copier a "paper weight". Unless you are asking for the HDD specs so you can purchase new ones and reload the software yourself. Once again Daan is correct all of these models support "On Demand Overwrite" which clears all data from the machine while still maintaining the firmware aka operating system. See guide http://www.xerox.com/downloads/usa/e...Protection.pdf If you don't see it in the options, try holding 0 for five seconds then press Start Password is: 6789; then go in the settings and look for On Demand Overwrite, and execute! If not the machine was not enabled with the feature. YouTube also has almost all videos on how to do this on almost all machines that have this feature.

Xerox charges for the service of keeping you own hard drive and personally I would charge your customer for time and money on the HDDs even though they are cheap. Xerox pricing is based on the PPM of the machine which can range anywhere from $250-$500+!!

Okay time to shut up now... LOL

Here is what you requested: I am 90% Sure on this!

7345 - 40GB IDE 3.5"
    7665 - 80GB SATA 3.5"
    5687 - 80GB SATA 3.5" or 80GB 3.5" IDE
    5655 - 80GB 3.5"or 80GB 3.5" IDE
    4260 - 80GB SATA 3.5"
    4595 - 40GB IDE 3.5"

Hope This Helps
    Last edited by dorez; 10-31-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: How To Show Overwrite if Not Listed

Technician

Thanks for the information. My customer wants the HDDs removed and erased to DoD 5220.22-M. I have the tools to do that and charge accordingly. Customer is returning these (old) units to lessor. I suspect if they are resold a complete overhaul and upgrad would be necessay.

Great information.

Thanks - onie

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onie View Post
    Thanks for the information. My customer wants the HDDs removed and erased to DoD 5220.22-M.
    That's the method the machine uses for the overwrite.. hehe

I mean I don't understand it, DoD (Department of Defense) isn't even a real method but it is what is..

Good Luck

Technician

Agreed. But the customer has it in their mind as the 'best' method. Not my call, would rather use the internal commands - much easier.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

sounds alot like our customers know what is "best"... I agree much easier and makes the machine easier to resell or lease.

stevegardberg

How do I get to the hard disk on a 4595 so I can remove it?

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by onie View Post
    Thanks for the information. My customer wants the HDDs removed and erased to DoD 5220.22-M. I have the tools to do that and charge accordingly. Customer is returning these (old) units to lessor. I suspect if they are resold a complete overhaul and upgrad would be necessay.

Great information.

Thanks - onie