Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar

DC 186 - print to Mac OSX snow leapard question?

Hi Xerox techs, I am very active on the Ricoh forum, but have a question about the Document Centre 186 model. I have been given on of these with very low counts and in excellent all round condition. I have setup the USB driver on a Win 7 PC and all is good. Am I correct in my assumption that like the Ricoh's I work on that printing via a mac (running OSX 10.6.8 snow lepeard) requires the installation of a Postscript module? Is there any way of printing from the mac if this is not installed. I have printed the config sheets and there is no sign of PS and I slipped out the controller and the 2 ROM slots are empty. Cheers from a Ricoh tech.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: DC 186 - print to Mac OSX snow leapard question?

Hi,

This is a 'Fuji Xerox' device and there isn't a non PS driver available for this device. You'll either need to get a PS kit, use the generic PCL driver on the Mac or try the Gutenprint driver suite: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ApeosMan View Post
    Hi,

This is a 'Fuji Xerox' device and there isn't a non PS driver available for this device. You'll either need to get a PS kit, use the generic PCL driver on the Mac or try the Gutenprint driver suite: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the info. I have made enquiries at our local Xerox dealer, they dont have any of the PS kit either new or used. I have heard of the Gutenprint solution before - and may look into this (however I have also heard it is problematic and buggy). As for the generic PCL driver, this is not something I have heard of before in use on a Mac, do you have any more info on this option? Cheers from Australia!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetboy View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have made enquiries at our local Xerox dealer, they dont have any of the PS kit either new or used. I have heard of the Gutenprint solution before - and may look into this (however I have also heard it is problematic and buggy). As for the generic PCL driver, this is not something I have heard of before in use on a Mac, do you have any more info on this option? Cheers from Australia!
    There should be a generic PCL driver to select within the driver drop down screen when adding a printer to the Mac OS, it should be available to select on 10.6.8. Remember to select the 'duplex' option when installing the driver. The Generic PCL driver is rather limited and certain paper sizes and types may not be available.

Quote Originally Posted by ApeosMan View Post
    There should be a generic PCL driver to select within the driver drop down screen when adding a printer to the Mac OS, it should be available to select on 10.6.8. Remember to select the 'duplex' option when installing the driver. The Generic PCL driver is rather limited and certain paper sizes and types may not be available.
    Thanks for that info, I have learnt something there. I have only ever set up macs with PS capable machines and just did the usual PS and add PPD setup. Im going to have a play with this generic PCL option.