Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Usb host to host communication failure on WC7655

Quote Originally Posted by InterfaceP View Post
    Looks like you have plenty of help on this one, and I don't want to step on anyone's feet but..

Curious to know why would you not install the latest SW version instead of worrying about patches?

The fact that you have multiple units that are doing the same thing raises the question about the proper installation.

I keep around 20-30 WC76XX in my inventory. Rarely do I see a USB to USB comm problem that's hardware related. That is

usually reserved for the Firewire connection. Check the proper installation and load the latest version of SW.

Do you have the USB connected to the back of the monitor?

I strongly believe its a software issue. But even patch or full software, i don't have any. Could you be kind enough to give the latest sw version to me....if you please.
    Dgtal

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Usb host to host communication failure on WC7655

Quote Originally Posted by adeyemi View Post
    I strongly believe its a software issue. But even patch or full software, i don't have any. Could you be kind enough to give the latest sw version to me....if you please.
    You need pws tool = WCPP Diagnostic tool for doing a proper installation of the software from scratch
    You dont need the latest firmware. You need the firmware who fix the problems. That depends of the machine configuration.
    There are another error code you have on the machine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adriansto View Post
    You need pws tool = WCPP Diagnostic tool for doing a proper installation of the software from scratch
    You dont need the latest firmware. You need the firmware who fix the problems. That depends of the machine configuration.
    There are another error code you have on the machine.

I have the WCPP diag tool, but no patch, no software, no firmware! And there are no other fault codes, just the host to host communication failure.
    Dgtal

Quote Originally Posted by adeyemi View Post
    I have the WCPP diag tool, but no patch, no software, no firmware! And there are no other fault codes, just the host to host communication failure.
    What version of software is on the machine ?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ive resolved a dozen of these errors over the last few weeks.
    almost all the cases resolved itself after getting a clean software install.

if there is a lot of controller swapping going on, or even controller part swapping, hdd mainly, the ess locks up and it does not seem to get free by itself again.

Ive had 1 or 2 cases were there was actually something wrong with the usb connection or cable too, so dont exclude it before hand.
    Basically though, if the controller software is not functioning correctly you get a usb host to host error, the entire machine runs off the controller rather than just the network part.

i have software version 040.033.52800 which is by no means recent but it works, i can up a copy for you if you want. if you do find more recent software i'd love to be on the sharing list tho

The less problematic software version is 033.53180 SPAR
    The last version is 53375 also SPAR.
    Many problems comes from bad sectors on controller hdd's

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    Ive resolved a dozen of these errors over the last few weeks.
    almost all the cases resolved itself after getting a clean software install.

if there is a lot of controller swapping going on, or even controller part swapping, hdd mainly, the ess locks up and it does not seem to get free by itself again.

Ive had 1 or 2 cases were there was actually something wrong with the usb connection or cable too, so dont exclude it before hand.
    Basically though, if the controller software is not functioning correctly you get a usb host to host error, the entire machine runs off the controller rather than just the network part.

i have software version 040.033.52800 which is by no means recent but it works, i can up a copy for you if you want. if you do find more recent software i'd love to be on the sharing list tho
    I currently have the 'host to host' error.

This is how I got the error...
    I've 2 7655 printers and one had the 'firewire communication error'. So i tried to put the controller from the second machine to see if it would work.
    When it was booting up, I noticed that it started updating the printer but couldnt stop it as it warned me not to. It boot up fine and even printed..

So I decided to put the old controller back. It boot up fine but when I tried to send jobs, they were kept in 'pending' mode and wouldn't print!

What did I decide to do? swap the 2 hard disks and after that they wouldn't boot on both printers! even after putting them back.

I've the Pws and 040.033.5350 software but am not able to re-install since altboot is not able to see the controller booting up!

I've blown the controller, re-installed the dimms, hdd but altboot wont boot.

Diagnosis through the usb cable says that 'ess is not available' but prints test prints.

What am I doing wrong?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Well im usually a big fan of imaging xerox discs and then writing out clones when one fails, usually much faster than re-installing with the cd's
    In the case of the 7600 series all atempts of the sort have uterly failed, any attempt to swap an hdd to another controller resulted in the software corrupting.
    i suspect that it detects some kind of bios id linked to an individual controller.

As for your current situation, what does the hex display on the back of your case say ? 00 / FF or something else? have you tried swapping your service switches?
    Have you ever used your pws setup before? null modem serial cable / 7600 alt boot. so we can exclude that from being faulty.
    Have you tried hooking up a normal monitor? iirc your able to see the post information normally, then it displays the booting linux kernel... if you get this far you can exlude post errors and likely most of your hardware is ok.
    You can also use putty instead of altboot, saw a guide floating around on this forum somewhere, has the advantage you dont need gsn.

Let me know if you got your issue resolved

Daan

Senior Tech 250+ Posts InterfaceP's Avatar

Well im usually a big fan of imaging xerox discs and then writing out clones when one fails, usually much faster than re-installing with the cd's
    In the case of the 7600 series all atempts of the sort have uterly failed, any attempt to swap an hdd to another controller resulted in the software corrupting.
    i suspect that it detects some kind of bios id linked to an individual controller.

As for your current situation, what does the hex display on the back of your case say ? 00 / FF or something else? have you tried swapping your service switches?
    Have you ever used your pws setup before? null modem serial cable / 7600 alt boot. so we can exclude that from being faulty.
    Have you tried hooking up a normal monitor? iirc your able to see the post information normally, then it displays the booting linux kernel... if you get this far you can exlude post errors and likely most of your hardware is ok.
    You can also use putty instead of altboot, saw a guide floating around on this forum somewhere, has the advantage you dont need gsn.

Daan
    Reload SW and the BIOS using the Altboot. There will be a Load BIOS option. Make sure the ESS is disconnected from the Printer. After the reload connect as normal and let the ESS load the SW to the other components as it did before.

Technician

Thanks for your reply.

There's no hex display as it is a 7655. I believe you find this from the 240 upwards.

I use the pws everyday on different machines and on this case I even used a new null modem.

I haven't used the monitor option(does it work on a 7655?)

Do you have the putty software?

Now a new development has come up.

I connected a new hdd and after putting back the old hard drive, the network port is no longer blinking. it does though on the second controller.

WARNING!!! Don't swap HDD on different controllers.. Its like corrupting its software.

Daan