Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

4150 strange uncopied stripes only when using the DADF

Has anyone seen this before or have an idea what is going on?

Problem seems to be with scanner section and only occurs when using the document feeder, but is intermittent even then. The copy will have usually two, but sometimes one, blank stripe about 1/2 inch wide down the whole page. If only one page is put in the feeder then the problem is usually not there and I have never seen the problem with the original on the flat bed glass. There does not appear to be anything on or under the feeder section of the glass that could block the image, nor is there an issue with the scan light. I have not tested duplex scanning.

I suspect there could be an intermittent problem with scanner logic, but then why no problem from a flat bed scan?

I am not sure where to start here other than running through the scanner RAP. Anybody have any additional ideas? Thanks for any help you can give.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

Re: 4150 strange uncopied stripes only when using the DADF

There has to be something physically blocking the image like a small torn piece of paper that has gotten stuck under the glass. I would remove the glass and take a good look under there.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

regarde sur la vitre de scanne du chargeur( petite vitre situer a ta gauhe) vérifie et nettoie soigneusement. essai aussi de faire une copie recto verso

Lay an original on the glass and make a copy. If it is OK check for obstructions in the slit glass area to the left of the copyboard glass.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I have checked for blockage & there is none. Sometimes the copy is fine so what ever this is it comes and goes. I just cannot understand why it only shows up sometime from the ADF and not at all from the flat bed.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    4150 strange uncopied stripes only when using the DADF

Make sure the white level reference is clean and unblocked. The CCD uses the white reference as a comparison so it knows what a blank white page would look like. When the CCD sees a dark area of the white reference it compensates by lightening pixels in that area to make an even white background on the copy or scan. Most MFPs have two or more white level references. Sometimes it appears as a white roller, especially when its a single pass DF. In that case you must clean all sides of the roller (or technically just the outside of the cylinder= 1 curved side).

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

I found a eureka tip that may provide an answer to your problem.

Problem: 3, 9mm wide deletions running lead to trail edge usually only when fed through the DADF.

Cause: The white reference strip may be out of position to right and the scanner sometimes calibrates to black rectangles there.

Improper scanning of the white reference strep along the bottom of the registration edge of the platen. It is possible that the carriage containing the scan home sensor is causing the carriage to park in a location slightly off where it should be.

Solution:
    Remove the scanner top cover from the machine and turn over. You will notice there are three black rectangles in the area of the registration edge. These rectangles are what the CCD is reading during setup.

There are two routes to take to resolve this. First being to loosen the set screws on the left hand scanner belt capstan and push the pulley to the left to tighten the scanner belt. Reassemble the scanner, restore power to the machine and allow it to set up. Run a shading test to re-calibrate the scanner and run copies. If the deletion is gone you are finished. If the defect is still there, follow the next step.

Order and install a replacement white strip (part # 815E08650) This is the white strip for a WC118 and will need to be trimmed to length. Apply the replacement white strip OVER the black rectangles. After instillation, rerun a shading test to calibrate the scanner.

Should these solutions fail to resolve the problem, order and replace the CCD module. Part # 101N01399.

I have never run into this problem myself. Best of luck!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thank you for the help. This sounds like a very plausible cause and solution. I ran a test of 300 DADF fed documents yesterday and no issues, but when they show up again I will try this solution. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Exok View Post
    I found a eureka tip that may provide an answer to your problem.

Problem: 3, 9mm wide deletions running lead to trail edge usually only when fed through the DADF.

Cause: The white reference strip may be out of position to right and the scanner sometimes calibrates to black rectangles there.

Improper scanning of the white reference strep along the bottom of the registration edge of the platen. It is possible that the carriage containing the scan home sensor is causing the carriage to park in a location slightly off where it should be.

Solution:
    Remove the scanner top cover from the machine and turn over. You will notice there are three black rectangles in the area of the registration edge. These rectangles are what the CCD is reading during setup.

There are two routes to take to resolve this. First being to loosen the set screws on the left hand scanner belt capstan and push the pulley to the left to tighten the scanner belt. Reassemble the scanner, restore power to the machine and allow it to set up. Run a shading test to re-calibrate the scanner and run copies. If the deletion is gone you are finished. If the defect is still there, follow the next step.

Order and install a replacement white strip (part # 815E08650) This is the white strip for a WC118 and will need to be trimmed to length. Apply the replacement white strip OVER the black rectangles. After instillation, rerun a shading test to calibrate the scanner.

Should these solutions fail to resolve the problem, order and replace the CCD module. Part # 101N01399.

I have never run into this problem myself. Best of luck!