Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Xerox Workcentre 7232 - developer problem

Be grateful for help on the following problem: I had a callout to a Xerox WC 7232 with the customer complaining of black shading on the prints. When I looked inside the printer, the black developer housing had toner/developer pouring out of the far side (looking from the front). I ordered a new developer housing, filled it with new developer and fitted it. When the machine was switched on it complained of K toner empty and when I checked inside the machine the new developer had the exact problem with developer/toner pouring out of the same place. With the developer unit out, the only way I can replicate this fault is if I turn the drive gear the wrong way. Is it possible for the housing to be rotated the wrong way in the printer or am I missing something obvious here? I have replaced a black developer housing on this model in the past with no problem.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Xerox Workcentre 7232 - developer problem

While we wait for people with more Xerox experience to show up, I have one suggestion you might want to consider. Is that machine level? It kind of sounds like it is sitting on an incline which makes it lean to the rear.
    Hope that helps, and if not sorry for wasting your time.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Xerox Workcentre 7232 - developer problem

As I know there is only one motor which rotate developers roll and one motor who rotate dev. revolver assy.
    Compare dev units, may be the motor have repulsion at black coulour - ...... kidding of course !
    Last edited by adriansto; 03-06-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Thanks for the replies. The machine is level and has been working okay in the past. It is only the black developer which is showing signs of spillage. I can't understand how only one developer is spilling toner when they have a common motor drive. It is possible that I have purchased a faulty developer housing but it seems an extreme coincidence for it to have the same fault as the one I'm replacing. They are also very expensive so not easy to try another one. I'm struggling with what to try next so I'm grateful for anyone's suggestions.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

With this kind of problem it seems that the source of your problem is in place where K-dev housing mounted on the carousel. If to try to think logically. So I'd have made close and careful inspection of K-dev unit mounting points and springs.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by tmelec View Post
    Be grateful for help on the following problem: I had a callout to a Xerox WC 7232 with the customer complaining of black shading on the prints. When I looked inside the printer, the black developer housing had toner/developer pouring out of the far side (looking from the front). I ordered a new developer housing, filled it with new developer and fitted it. When the machine was switched on it complained of K toner empty and when I checked inside the machine the new developer had the exact problem with developer/toner pouring out of the same place. With the developer unit out, the only way I can replicate this fault is if I turn the drive gear the wrong way. Is it possible for the housing to be rotated the wrong way in the printer or am I missing something obvious here? I have replaced a black developer housing on this model in the past with no problem.
    When you open the dev tank is it overfull with toner, if so I would have to think that the dispense clutch is being energised incorrectly or stuck on, suggest to test if 24v is being supplied to the clutch constantly,if yes maybe a mcu reset or replacement.Or clutch is locked up, possibly it hasn't had enough time with the colour devs in position to overfill them?.

Thanks for the latest suggestions, I will follow them up. One thing I've noticed is that all the toners are showing 0% full but they were all okay before changing the developer. Whether the machine stops checking after the black cart fails I'm unsure.The service manual doesn't have a "theory of operation" so it's difficult to know exactly how the toner sensor works. Is this printer engine similar to another one that has a more comprehensive manual? Really grateful for the help so far.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

for this model developer housing always giving problem noisy ,drain out deve powder and detect toner empty.when changing developer housing pls bring along service vacuum cleaner and cleaning internal machine before start work changing deve powder or housing and make sure reset HFSI counter .

As there are problems with these developer housings, do you think the new developer housing I installed could have the same fault? I did clean a lot of spilt toner from the machine but I'm still not sure where the toner sensors are located or exactly how they work. If the toner sensor is showing 0%, I assume the toner will keep feeding the developer housing continuously until eventually it all spills out. Do you happen to know how the level of toner is detected? Thanks for your help.