X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uniquer
    Technician
    • Feb 2022

Jam in the morning in duplex only

I have a canon 2545 that jam for the first copy in the day if it passed the duplex any suggestions
  • Venom
    Technical/IT Support
    500+ Posts
    • Nov 2009

Re: Jam in the morning in duplex only

Take the dampening sponges off the paper switch actuators and gates
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Comment

• tonerjockey
      Senior Tech
      500+ Posts
      • Apr 2014

I recently had a Canon Color image runner C2550 with paper jams first copy in am.

like the above post, i found the registration sensor sticking. i removed the foam and its fine.

try using a small tool to clean the foam, without removing a bunch of stuff if possible.

Comment

• Uniquer
        Technician
        • Feb 2022

Originally posted by Venom
        Take the dampening sponges off the paper switch actuators and gates
        Solved..as you suggested, thanks

Comment

• tonerjockey
          Senior Tech
          500+ Posts
          • Apr 2014

cool.
          after 7 years or so, a lot of machines do this if they have the foam pad on either a solenoid or a sensor. they are there to make that nice new printer so quiet.

the HP foams usually are just a bunch of goo, and you have too scrap and clean with solvent or cleaner to get the residue off.

brothers and others, the rubber gets soft, but can usually be carefully peeled off as one piece.

for solenoids, if its in a hard to reach place, and a ton of work to get it out, i have also had good luck taking a small piece of paper about 10x20CM. and then fold that n half, so the square is 10 x 10 cm.

then i slide the paper in between the coil and actuator and then hold down the actuator. then the paper sticks to the goo on both sides, but now the opposing surfaces are clean. if I'm worried about it falling out, i just put a drop of super glue gel on one side before i slide it in.

never a call back, unless the few times where the coil is actually shorted, and there is a magnetism. then you either have to replace it, or add enough insulation that it doesn't stick from magnetism.

have a great day.

Comment

• kquier
            • Jan 2024

Hi, we are having the same issue where the 1st page jams. Could you provide information or a picture of where the sponges are on the sensors? Also getting colored strips across the paper. Thanks!

Comment

• tonerjockey
              Senior Tech
              500+ Posts
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kquier
              Hi, we are having the same issue where the 1st page jams. Could you provide information or a picture of where the sponges are on the sensors? Also getting colored strips across the paper. Thanks!
              well, if you are trying to fix your own and have no experience, then it might be confusing or can cause damage to the fragile plastic parts.
              i don't have a picture handy. what make and model are you having the trouble with?

there are some sensors that are nearly imposable to see without dismantling sections of a given printer/ copier. others are in plain view. if you can look for all the paper path sensors in the section that it stops, making sure that they don't hang up after you release them. if they do, then you need to locate the reason. usually a small square of foam with a self stick on one side. that old foam needs to be completely removed.

if possible, take a flashlight and see if you can watch the paper pick up rollers when they start to feed the paper.

oh, and i would need to know where you are finding any jammed paper, or if its still in the paper draw. if you find it, is it laying flat, or is it crumpled or folded like an accordion. is there print on it.

and the color strips, it would be helpful if you can post those sample pictures here so we can see it.

there are many causes of strips, and i would need to know what direction the paper is loaded in the paper drawer to make a better diagnosis from here.

best of luck.

Comment

• kquier
                • Jan 2024

Hello, thank you for the reply. It's a Cannon C2550. I will try to watch it feed. Below are pictures showing where it usually jams and a picture of the paper, after removed. The second location it sometimes jams is above the yellow "Danger" sticker, where it is only sticking out about 1/4". Last is the streaks when set to color. They start fading with each copy, if set to black and white. Thanks!
                Jam location 1.jpgJammed paper.jpgJam location 2.jpgStreaks.jpg

Comment

• tonerjockey
                  Senior Tech
                  500+ Posts
                  • Apr 2014

well, as for the cyan and magenta streaks on the inboard side, i suspect that the ITB belt cleaning blade is bad. and as far as my research, those were no longer available.
                  it could also be what ever color is streaking the imaging cleaning blades are bad. but to have two with streaks at the same area, at the same time is not as likely.
                  oddly, i to have seen that a bad ITB belt only seems to be mostly obvious after doing full color. but in theory, it should also streak in black.

if you pull the ITB belt unit out, you can lift the drum units and see if the streak is on the drum. i think those re still available?

as for the jamming, your one picture inside the right side door looking at the mainframe, right about dead center is the one paper sensor actuator that i have seen get sticky with the foam backing. to test it, i hold it in with my finger for a few seconds. then release it quickly and see if the plastic arm returns immediately. if there's ant hesitation, this can cause jams and the sticky foam needs to be removed. i think on that one, i may have had to remove a cover or screw to get enough room to get my "dentist" tool with the 90degree pointer scribe in there to carefully get under the self stick adhesive film an bring the whole thing off and out.

if that sensor or the others are not sticking, its possible that the fixing film is starting to slip. but then, usually the paper would have gotten to the fuser and stopped.

your "jammed paper" has no print on it that i can see, so did you have anything on the glass? if so, than there's another issue as well.

the folded paper you have, it looks like its behind the ? duplex chute. were you running 2 sided? if not, i would also check for sticking reverse, duplex gate guide solenoid levers or plungers.

best of luck with it. its pretty much at end of life as far as parts availability though.

Comment

• tonerjockey
                    Senior Tech
                    500+ Posts
                    • Apr 2014

sorry about that. "duplex only"
                    so if it only jams in duplex, i would look for the foam stickers in the right side door transport.

those things that the paper is caught in.

those move up or down, back and forth to allow the paper to go thru the door one cycle, and against the machine the other. those get sticky. may need to open up that section to get to it?

i forgot what the post was titled.

but now you get a little more info for your use.

sorry

Comment

Working...