Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Banding on a T1300PS; the band is about the width of the length of the M-C printhead

Banding on a T1300PS; the band is about the width of the length of the M-C printhead:

Do you know what might be causing this magenta? banding attached/below (about the width of the printhead)? One thing I told customer is to set the quality to "best"; she had it on "speed" or "draft" I suppose. I have not heard back from her yet. She had a crash/freeze and lost the work, and wanted to blame it on me. Perhaps the "best" setting used more memory and caused a freeze/crash. Perhaps "print as bit map" setting would take care of that?????

Would "speed" setting make it look like that below?

Or again do you know what might be causing this banding? (Again maybe it is because of "speed" or "draft" setting.)

Not sure if the attachment will show it properly; appears it was altered.

Thanks
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Banding on a T1300PS; the band is about the width of the length of the M-C printhead

Re: Banding on a T1300PS; the band is about the width of the length of the M-C printh

Yes, using the speed or draft setting will cause banding, because there is no overlap of the carriage passes.

Speed/draft is great for b&w CAD prints, but anything with solid color fills will show banding.

Kiran

Re: Banding on a T1300PS; the band is about the width of the length of the M-C printh

On the 'crash', presuming this is a PDF they're printing and they're using Adobe Reader or Acrobat, it's a problem that's existed since day one. Recommend they use Foxit Reader instead. It works miles better than Adobe Reader for printing PDFs to HP Designjet printers.

If they're trying to print directly from Photoshop or Indesign, it's better to save the job as a PDF, then print the PDF.

Printing as a bitmap can help in cases where the printer runs out of memory, since it takes makes the computer do the RIP process vs the printer.. but with any modern printer with a hard drive, this won't make a difference and may cause print issues with certain Postscript features like fountain fills.

The print quality can be just set to normal (assuming it's a choice, I can't recall.) So not speed, and not best.. just normal.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Kiran, thanks so very much!

I didn't notice your last post. So I asked the following which you responded to above:

I THINK they are printing on bond or inkjet paper. Should they use "Normal" quality setting or "BEST" quality setting? Seems you said "BEST" should be used for photo paper.

You seem to say they should use "Normal". And maybe "BEST" for photo quality.

I told them to use "best" and they had a crash and lost their work and wanted to blame me. Maybe the sending of such a larger print file with "best" quality taxed their system and caused a crash. I don't really know. I assume it would consume more memory and processing power in "BEST" mode.

Thanks again,
    Paul

You're correct; Best is best for photo paper or other exotics. On bond paper 'normal' is best.

It shouldn't make any difference what they set it to; it shouldn't crash their PC. Plus they should always save their work before printing.

Kiran

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Yes, using the speed or draft setting will cause banding, because there is no overlap of the carriage passes.

Speed/draft is great for b&w CAD prints, but anything with solid color fills will show banding.

Kiran
    +1 Kiran is correct, this issue will be in EVERY wide format INK based lifeform.. from HP/Canon-Epson even the wider desktop Brother unit.

Speed/Draft is just for trial printing color.. as mentioned good for B&W

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks guys. This is typical: Get a crappy print and blame the printer/plotter guy.

All should master their software before sending a print.

Thanks again.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pbrooks259 View Post
    Thanks guys. This is typical: Get a crappy print and blame the printer/plotter guy.

All should master their software before sending a print.

Thanks again.
    end users EXPECT us to be: software/Hardware/IT techs all rolled into one and never want to learn their part of the gig.

But will blame US when the stub their toes on issues.

glad we could she some light on it for you.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

That reminds me of another technician blaming--not cutting between pages of a multi-page print job. I will post that later.

Paul

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Solution (at least one solution): Customer changed print quality setting to "best" and selected "maximum detail" and the print was acceptable. Although those may not be advisable settings for 20# bond paper. But they worked. I think they said it was a lot better anyway.