Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Scanner - Browse Network

Hey all....this is not a very pressing matter more of a curiosity.

I used to be able to add a user to the address book for scan to folder here in my office buy selecting "scanner--folder--new program/prg dest--browse network" and after i selected browse network it would connect and i could see my computer and find the scans folder.

Now on all the machines i bring in it says connection with the destination has failed after pressing "browse network"

I'm curious if a network setting changed with my internet here in my office or if its something easy.

Like i said not a big deal just thought i'd post in case it was something simple and was more or less curious...I prefer adding scans through the WIM anyways so if i can't figure it out i'm not worried.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Scanner - Browse Network

Re: Scanner - Browse Network

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post

I used to be able to add a user to the address book for scan to folder here in my office buy selecting "scanner--folder--new program/prg dest--browse network" and after i selected browse network it would connect and i could see my computer and find the scans folder.

Now on all the machines i bring in it says connection with the destination has failed after pressing "browse network"

I'm curious if a network setting changed with my internet here in my office or if its something easy.

Like i said not a big deal just thought i'd post in case it was something simple and was more or less curious...I prefer adding scans through the WIM anyways so if i can't figure it out i'm not worried.
    I've never found the answer to this. 9/10 this doesn't work I can only think it was a Win 10 issue.

I have a MP C306 at home & the folder browse used to work then out of the blue stopped I have a basic home network printer is set on DHCP connected direct to my router.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scanner - Browse Network

Antivirus programs and firewalls can prevent computers from establishing a connection with the machine.
    To prevent an antivirus application from blocking the connection, register the fax program in the exclusion list of the antivirus program. For details on the procedure, see the help from the antivirus application.
    To prevent the firewall from blocking the connection, record the IP address of the exclusion settings. For details on the procedure for excluding an IP address, see the firewall help.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scanner - Browse Network

Browse the network from the MFP depends on NetBios name resolution from the DNS. If the computer is not registering its name with the DNS, you will get see it when you browse the network from the MFP. Domain and/or workgroup/homegroup name will also affect browsing. One typo and it Katy bar the door when you try to connect. Windows itself will think you are a hacker, not the firewall or your security suite. Firewall and security software will block everything including printing.

Scanner - Browse Network

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post

tell us if and how you solved it

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Browse the network from the MFP depends on NetBios name resolution from the DNS. If the computer is not registering its name with the DNS, you will get see it when you browse the network from the MFP. Domain and/or workgroup/homegroup name will also affect browsing. One typo and it Katy bar the door when you try to connect. Windows itself will think you are a hacker, not the firewall or your security suite. Firewall and security software will block everything including printing.
    Is there something specific i need to enter in for the dns, workgroup and domain name?

I messed around a bit in interface settings, entered in my networks dns. Not sure if NetBIOS over TCP/IPv4 should be active or inactive. Or what the security level should be at on the MFP.

But i still feel like it has something to do with my internet. Because if i change all these settings on the MFP, i never had to do that in the past, i could usually browse the network on any machine i brought in my office.

Scanner - Browse Network

Only things I've found that worked were making sure the network type is "Private", the MFP and computer are on the same Domain/Workgroup, Change the default NetBIOS setting in network and sharing to be "NetBIOS over TCP/IP (Default is NetBIOS over DHCP), check you have a valid DNS on both units, and adjusting the inbound rules of the firewall to allow for Network Discovery (NB-all).

It's a pain sometimes, but customers want what they want.

Lightbulb Re: Scanner - Browse Network

Capture.PNG
    go into [Services] and look for this 2 services... stop and change the startup type to [Automatic], apply and start. After done for both services, reboot the PC, and you'll be able to saw the PC in network.
    Also, the SMB1.0 for Windows 10 off by default, so might need to switch it on inside [turn windows features on/off]
    Hope it helps

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scanner - Browse Network

Quote Originally Posted by xbaileix View Post
    Capture.PNG
    go into [Services] and look for this 2 services... stop and change the startup type to [Automatic], apply and start. After done for both services, reboot the PC, and you'll be able to saw the PC in network.
    Also, the SMB1.0 for Windows 10 off by default, so might need to switch it on inside [turn windows features on/off]
    Hope it helps
    SMB v1 will just be turned off again the next time Windows updates.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hey all, sorry for the dormant thread, like i said it wasn't a pressing matter just a curiosity so it hasn't been a big focus for me.

That said the only thing i got to work was when i went to program a destination, if i first entered the name of my computer in the path, and then i hit browse, it would connect to my pc in my office and from there i could find my scan folder as normal.

But i still wasn't able to get it to browse the entire network and show all of my devices like it use to....

Thanks