Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    3055c  E721 radf jam

3055c E721 radf jam

Customer has a 3055c that continually jams at the turn area of the radf, hence the E721 code. I cleaned the rollers, sensors and switches (with air and a brush), I looked for any objects such as paper clips, staples, etc. After doing so the document feeder pulled in and passed about 5 pages, then started to jam again at the turn area and E721 codes again. Any suggestions what to do next? I am not that well versed on Toshiba's.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    3055c  E721 radf jam

Re: 3055c E721 radf jam

cycle counts on the RADF feed rollers ?

Does it have the updated rollers and torq limiter ?

You have to take off some parts to truly clean the read sensor area and inspect for bent mylars / broken plastic mounts for guides

condition or originals at jam ? dog ears? skew?

3055c  E721 radf jam

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent128 View Post
    cycle counts on the RADF feed rollers ?

Does it have the updated rollers and torq limiter ?

You have to take off some parts to truly clean the read sensor area and inspect for bent mylars / broken plastic mounts for guides

condition or originals at jam ? dog ears? skew?
    Thanks, Vincent. I do not know if has the updated rollers/torq limiter, but I do know the paper is making it past the feed separation area and jams at the turn rollers, they are moving and I cleaned them. I also made sure jam switch was functioning properly. I could start with new rollers/ torq limiter. The originals are in good shape, no dog ears, etc.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    3055c  E721 radf jam

The new style rollers would have a urethane sep and the new limiter would have 2 red lines rather than 1 (if memory serves)
    I have seen them cause timing issues - feeds just fine but original does not get to or out of the reg or reading sensor at the time the machine expects.

bent mylars and plastic that gave way in the reading roller section is something I have seen from time to time.

I think the DF's on the Toshiba are ...they could use improvement...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    3055c  E721 radf jam

E721 codes are one of the most common codes on all Toshiba DF's. Those DF rollers (set: 6LK71637000) are rated for 120K originals, but can get flat areas on the separation in as little as 60K (which will cause E721 and E712 original misfeeds). You can check the count in 6S-2.

But you can also get E721, E722 jams if you get silicone based mailing adhesive on the registration guide.

If your originals have a Z-fold in them, perhaps the mylars on the top door are worn through at the folded edge, exposing the adhesive in between. I used to trim off those jagged edges, but then found that you get better results by making new slightly heavier mylars (2pc x 30mm x 40mm) and sticking them on in the same location with two sided tape.

If your originals make it as far as the slit glass and are ripped, maybe this problem started as a print paper skew issue, that the tech attempted to compensate for by shifting the original image. The simplest way to identify this is to print an internal report. The DF should sit squarely on top of the machine, the white plate exactly parallel with the slit glass.

MR-3022 top door mylars.jpg

=^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 04-04-2020 at 01:04 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

3055c  E721 radf jam

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    E721 codes are one of the most common codes on all Toshiba DF's. Those DF rollers (set: 6LK71637000) are rated for 120K originals, but can get flat areas on the separation in as little as 60K (which will cause E721 and E712 original misfeeds). You can check the count in 6S-2.

But you can also get E721, E722 jams if you get silicone based mailing adhesive on the registration guide.

If your originals have a Z-fold in them, perhaps the mylars on the top door are worn through at the folded edge, exposing the adhesive in between. I used to trim off those jagged edges, but then found that you get better results by making new slightly heavier mylars (2pc x 30mm x 40mm) and sticking them on in the same location with two sided tape.

If your originals make it as far as the slip glass and are ripped, maybe this problem started as a print paper skew issue, that the tech attempted to compensate for by shifting the original image. The simplest way to identify this is to print an internal report. The DF should sit squarely on top of the machine, the white plate exactly parallel with the slit glass.

=^..^=
    They are just regular originals, I even ran some blank paper fresh paper though, but the same issue. Thank you, for the P/N, I will try that first as it should be relatively inexpensive before I dive into the mylars as this could be time intensive and cost prohibitive as this is a back up copier the client is using.

3055c  E721 radf jam

I never order these mylars. Its expeditious to just cut new ones and attach with two sided tape. =^..^=

3055c  E721 radf jam

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I never order these mylars. Its expeditious to just cut new ones and attach with two sided tape. =^..^=
    I know this is a late follow up, things have been a little crazy, but you were correct Blackcat, it was a mylar that was bent out of shape causing the jamming issue. I made a new mylar and the document feeder is now working, thanks for the help.

3055c  E721 radf jam

Thanks for posting back. =^..^=