Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Driving in the time of Covid 19

Quote Originally Posted by Etech50 View Post
    Where do I even start with this topic. With the amount of driving that we all do, you would think we have seen it all. The reduced traffic during this crisis makes rush hour commuting appear as if I am travelling in the middle of the night. One of the longer commutes I would normally do would be 100 minutes but only take me 65. Yet, as others mentioned, that still is not fast enough. Sometimes I feel as if I am standing still as people zip past. The highway patrol has a lot of free time on their hands and the other day I saw 3 different cars pulled over by 3 different cops within 1 km of each other. I'm not sure how wide the news travelled but someone got caught doing 308 kph (193 mph) in a 100 kph (63 mph) zone near where I live. That is messed up. Man, I could go on for hours but I rest for now.
    Re. Back in the day driving alot.
    Technicians were tasked to travel 3 hours west out to the country, about every two weeks.
    The trip envolved leaving early morning around 6am ,work a 6-8 hour day, and then drive 3 hours to home. It was a 12-14 hour day. You got home around 8:30-9:00pm.

We never got paid over time.

It was assume you could service 6-8 machines and do that work in 8 hours. You were frowned on very heavy by managers and made feel guilty if you left unserviced machines for the next out of town trip.

Management attitude, if you didn't like the out of town work you could find somewhere else to work.

If there were alot of machines ,you got to stay overnight in a motel, sometimes for two nights

The things we do, when you're raising a family with a mortgage...

Very true story....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Etech50 View Post
    Where do I even start with this topic. With the amount of driving that we all do, you would think we have seen it all. The reduced traffic during this crisis makes rush hour commuting appear as if I am travelling in the middle of the night. One of the longer commutes I would normally do would be 100 minutes but only take me 65. Yet, as others mentioned, that still is not fast enough. Sometimes I feel as if I am standing still as people zip past. The highway patrol has a lot of free time on their hands and the other day I saw 3 different cars pulled over by 3 different cops within 1 km of each other. I'm not sure how wide the news travelled but someone got caught doing 308 kph (193 mph) in a 100 kph (63 mph) zone near where I live. That is messed up. Man, I could go on for hours but I rest for now.
    Yeah, you're close to my neck of the woods going by your location and the above description of the 308 km/hr driver. I have a major city street behind me and can hear cars whipping by all night. With the windows closed! Here in the GTA we have been seeing a number of "Side Shows" where a number of cars take over a intersection and do donuts.

Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

I've thoroughly enjoyed my drive to and from work during this! Generally speaking, everyone on the interstate is going 65 - 70MPH (Speed limit is 65).

There is still the random UNSAFE "safe driver" who decides to merge onto the interstate doing 45 expecting everyone to slow down for them even though they had a 1/2 mile downhill onramp to get up to speed, but its few and far between now. :P

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Driving in the time of Covid 19

I haven't noticed an increase in the craziness of drivers here in Fairbanks. Since we don't have much traffic normally, the drivers here are known for making up their own rules. Apparently, the lines painted on the roads and the posted signs are only suggestions. I just expect everyone to be a dangerous driver.