Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Black to color conversion - use of black pcu

Hoi,
    For testing a black pcu for a worn surface (mpc3002 - black dots) I make a copy with black conversion to cyan setting.
    Black dots are also appearing on this conversion copy (so i know black PCU is worn).
    So, it seems that the black pcu is still involved in this conversion process...
    Isn't there a sort of grayscale for each color?
    Or is this grayscale made together with the black pcu?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Re: Black to color conversion - use of black pcu

Don't really get your question here but if you see black spots in a repeating pattern mathing the drum diameter (large format test) while testing in black/white mode it's 100% the black drum since cmy drums aren't involved in that mode.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Hoi,
    For testing a black pcu for a worn surface (mpc3002 - black dots) I make a copy with black conversion to cyan setting.
    Black dots are also appearing on this conversion copy (so i know black PCU is worn).
    So, it seems that the black pcu is still involved in this conversion process...
    Isn't there a sort of grayscale for each color?
    Or is this grayscale made together with the black pcu?
    You could access COPY Sp mode and select SP5618. Change the value to 0. Exit SP mode.
    You will see you now have a single color button to select and be able to do selsctive single colour copies.

But like Gift said, if the marks match the diameter of the drum, it is 100% given that it is the cause.

The reason why black marks may appear in colour copies, is because the machine uses black to make any given colour darker.

Hope that makes sense.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    You could access COPY Sp mode and select SP5618. Change the value to 0. Exit SP mode.
    You will see you now have a single color button to select and be able to do selsctive single colour copies.

But like Gift said, if the marks match the diameter of the drum, it is 100% given that it is the cause.

The reason why black marks may appear in colour copies, is because the machine uses black to make any given colour darker.

Hope that makes sense.
    Strange that colour don't use grayscale but the black drum for darkening...
    That's what i wanted to know, thanks.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

This caught me out not long after I started working on the Apollon / Athena. The black drum is always in contact with the ITB so any marks on the black will show even if black isn't being used.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Hoi,For testing a black pcu for a worn surface (mpc3002 - black dots) I make a copy with black conversion to cyan setting.Black dots are also appearing on this conversion copy (so i know black PCU is worn).So, it seems that the black pcu is still involved in this conversion process...Isn't there a sort of grayscale for each color?Or is this grayscale made together with the black pcu?
    i have seen a few mpc3002 drums wear early because of bad after market toner..Like it was not fine and caused it wear down...