Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

C6004ex back up a software application

Good day to you all,

I am replacing a controller board on a C6004ex because of a voltage spike at the customers building and now have an SC816-37 code that wont quit. Ive gone through all my troubleshooting steps and am now at the point of needing to replace parts. First stop is the controller board according to the manual.

So this customer runs this software application called Nuance. Its something that Ricoh loaded or possibly the customers IT. Whoever loaded it, it wasnt me, nor anyone that works for the company I work for. Im wanting to know if I can back up this software to an SD card, if the machine in its current state will even allow that, so after I replace the controller, I can upload the software back onto the copier, and not have to have someone else get involved.

Is it possible to backup this Nuance software?

Thank you,
    Rusty

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: C6004ex back up a software application

Nuance what? They make a bunch of software, such as AutoStore, eCopy ShareScan, Equitrac, Output Manager, etc...

I’m sure that someone administers whatever app (or apps) is (or are) in play.

They will need to re-add the machine to the server that runs the software, and possibly reconfigure, especially if the MAC address or serial number should change.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

We are going to need a lot more information. What Nuance Software are you dealing with?
    1. Dragon? I doubt since dragon is speech recognition software
    2. Paperport?
    3. Cloud Connector
    4. OmniPage

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    We are going to need a lot more information. What Nuance Software are you dealing with?
    1. Dragon? I doubt since dragon is speech recognition software
    2. Paperport?
    3. Cloud Connector
    4. OmniPage
    Yeah, also there is Output Manager, Streamline, lots of options for Nuance.

To OP, there isn't any way to save it to my knowledge. Generally the app itself is installed on the Flash Memory on the controller. It it happens to be on the HDD chances are it will have to be reinstalled to make the licensing work properly again. Most of the time in my experience there is a system admin somewhere that has the software and the "keys to the kingdom" to reinstall it if there is a problem.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

If it's PCC ver 5 just task whoever installed it in the first place to reload the config again.
    It's usually Ricoh when it's PCC.
    Ricoh tend to call PCC 5 "Nuance" as a blanket description because the login screen is the Nuance screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    If it's PCC ver 5 just task whoever installed it in the first place to reload the config again.
    It's usually Ricoh when it's PCC.
    Ricoh tend to call PCC 5 "Nuance" as a blanket description because the login screen is the Nuance screen.
    FYI..."PCC" stands for "Print and Copy Control", which I know is used for Equitrac, but I'm not sure about Output Manager.

PCC is used to connect the MFP back to the software.

*Pet Peeve* Let's not get too wrapped up in this without some additional input from the OP. All too many times, someone posts a vague request, and those of us with some knowledge tend to generate a very long thread without ever hearing back from whoever initially posed the question.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician

Hey OP here.

I apologize for not knowing more. Im not at all familiar with this Nuance software and didnt know what i didnt know when i first posed the question. My guess is that Ricoh loaded the software, i was just hoping to get around having to have the customer reach out to ricoh to have them reload it.

The software is not loaded on the HDD. I unplugged the hdd and turned the copier on to see if the problem cleared and the software booted up. Im assuming its stored in the controller.

or is it stored in the Smart Op panel?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RustySprocket View Post
    Hey OP here.

I apologize for not knowing more. Im not at all familiar with this Nuance software and didnt know what i didnt know when i first posed the question. My guess is that Ricoh loaded the software, i was just hoping to get around having to have the customer reach out to ricoh to have them reload it.

The software is not loaded on the HDD. I unplugged the hdd and turned the copier on to see if the problem cleared and the software booted up. Im assuming its stored in the controller.

There is also the possibility that some Joe Blow or Suzi Que employee of your customer saw something on the internet and decided to try installing it, screwing the rest of the employees in the process.

Hey OP here.

Does the customer have multiple machines at the same location? If they do, there's a good chance they are running the same software (although not necessarily).

If they are, it may be a good idea to get a look at one so you can see what they are running. If possible, get a screenshot of the working machine's control panel, and post it here so we can get a look (provided it does NOT have the customer's name on it, as it can be customized).

Not to be repetitive, but you're going to need whoever installed it in the first place to get involved. Most Nuance software have an installer that someone with access to it needs to run.

This is almost always a sore subject when enabling software is installed on an MFP that has any of this type of work done to it. Don't be surprised if someone wants to charge for doing so...it can get ugly.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hey OP here.

If it boots up without the hdd it's either a Java application which is on the flash memory of the controller. Or definitely possible to be an android app that runs on the OP panel. The 6004ex can do both. Most of my customers use Java apps but there are a few that use the op panel version.. The newest machines (IM C) Java is optional as Ricoh is trying to move all apps to Android and op panel based. Again need to do more research and see if the application shows in extended features in user tools (Java) or in the screen features (Android).

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk