Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Re: Kyocera 7002i thick solid black line

Quote Originally Posted by ShayMoe View Post
    I have an 8002i giving the same black line once or twice every 10k. It started when the copier was at 1.5 million and after the maintenance kit was fitted at 1.9 million
    the problem disappeared. But has been producing the inch wide black line intermittently since 2.3 million. Has anyone come up with a definitive solution as the customer
    is not eager to spend money buying parts. I don't have a spare machine to swap parts from so as to fix the problem by a process of elimination. The print content is vaguely
    visible under the black line so the laser exposes the image on the drum correctly therefore the black line is generated by a drop in charge at the (crummy) charge roller or by
    a loss of the dev bias. It is a head wrecker !!! Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Multiple reports indicated in this post has fixed this issue by either drum kit (which includes new charge roller), developer kit, Front PWB, High Voltage PWB, or Transfer Belt. I experienced first case being the Front PWB. Another one of my personal experience was the Transfer belt addressing this problem. The Maintenance Kit includes the Transfer Belt, Drum, and Developer. So it may be between these 3 parts in most cases. There has been a change to the Transfer belt about a year or so ago that require mylars to be placed or removed depending how far the transfer belt tracked by measuring belt front machine edge to the metal frame. Since this change of transfer belt (assuming change in the production/manufacturing of the transfer belt), I've experienced uneven density, transfer belt tracking to either front or rear of the machine causing damage of the transfer belt, or the thick black band in question. This transfer belt issue is linked to the 00 (5500i), 01 (5501i), and 7002i/8002i series machines. So far, the thick black banding issue only seems to occur on the 7002i/8002i machines.

Quote Originally Posted by rsantos325 View Post
    Multiple reports indicated in this post has fixed this issue by either drum kit (which includes new charge roller), developer kit, Front PWB, High Voltage PWB, or Transfer Belt. I experienced first case being the Front PWB. Another one of my personal experience was the Transfer belt addressing this problem. The Maintenance Kit includes the Transfer Belt, Drum, and Developer. So it may be between these 3 parts in most cases. There has been a change to the Transfer belt about a year or so ago that require mylars to be placed or removed depending how far the transfer belt tracked by measuring belt front machine edge to the metal frame. Since this change of transfer belt (assuming change in the production/manufacturing of the transfer belt), I've experienced uneven density, transfer belt tracking to either front or rear of the machine causing damage of the transfer belt, or the thick black band in question. This transfer belt issue is linked to the 00 (5500i), 01 (5501i), and 7002i/8002i series machines. So far, the thick black banding issue only seems to occur on the 7002i/8002i machines.
    Thanks for the quick reply. The copier has a great track record. Only times I had to visit was to fit the maintenance kit and the odd visit to clean the " inferior" charge roller. I have had no issues with the transfer belt. The black band is the only problem and I am trying to understand what is the root cause. Is it the drum charge shorting out at the charge roller or is it the "mag" roller grounding in the dev unit. I will order in a new maintenance kit and replace the bits one by one and see what happens but it's going to be a long process as the black line only happens once or twice every 10k and other times multiple bands per page.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Our machine started doing it again, it will go away for a while and then start doing it again. I am going to look into the tech bulletin that was posted above about mylars and see what I can come up with.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thank you for the quick reply! Here are my findings:

Replacing the belt, I vacuumed the entire conveying unit and thoroughly dusted and cleaned and double checked any grounding points. I removed two mylars from the rear of the machine guide per the tech bulletin (I200) as I found it tracked to 11mm from front edge of belt to frame. It has been common occurrence that removing all mylars is required. But please be sure double check when replacing any transfer belts for the 00, 01, & 7002i, 8002i series. After replacing I ran U464, U410, U464, U412.

Prior to Transfer belt being replaced, the black bands would occur anywhere between 10-20 pages. I ran about 300 pages and the black band issue stopped so far. At first thought, it is weird that the transfer belt would initiate the black band as the image or biases do not originate from the transfer belt. I believe the issue is that it is shorting or arching the drum in a way that causes the black banding issue. That is why it happens randomly.

As a theory, this short or arch may be causing the boards to go bad.
    Or even the drum...
    Where are you finding this tech bulletin? I don't see it when I go to the machine and look under bulletins. Are these mylars on the machine or the door where the transfer belt assembly attaches?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thank you for the quick reply! Here are my findings:

Replacing the belt, I vacuumed the entire conveying unit and thoroughly dusted and cleaned and double checked any grounding points. I removed two mylars from the rear of the machine guide per the tech bulletin (I200) as I found it tracked to 11mm from front edge of belt to frame. It has been common occurrence that removing all mylars is required. But please be sure double check when replacing any transfer belts for the 00, 01, & 7002i, 8002i series. After replacing I ran U464, U410, U464, U412.

Prior to Transfer belt being replaced, the black bands would occur anywhere between 10-20 pages. I ran about 300 pages and the black band issue stopped so far. At first thought, it is weird that the transfer belt would initiate the black band as the image or biases do not originate from the transfer belt. I believe the issue is that it is shorting or arching the drum in a way that causes the black banding issue. That is why it happens randomly.

As a theory, this short or arch may be causing the boards to go bad.
    Or even the drum...

I actually think I found it, it says though that the black band is lead to trail edge and ours is top to bottom. Was the issue you were working on lead to trail edge?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

We also have a 7002i exhibiting this same issue. We're still testing, but we think we've got it figured out. Ran over 3,000 copies without any lines.

The primary cause is a bad drum ground and fixed by replacing the drum drive assembly.

See the attached document that refers to this and another possible cause for this issue. The attachment is from a Kyocera tech rep.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post
    We also have a 7002i exhibiting this same issue. We're still testing, but we think we've got it figured out. Ran over 3,000 copies without any lines.

The primary cause is a bad drum ground and fixed by replacing the drum drive assembly.

See the attached document that refers to this and another possible cause for this issue. The attachment is from a Kyocera tech rep.
    I will check it out thank you. I don't know why this is such a difficult problem to figure as it seems it happens fairly often. We are doing the bulletin that talks about mylars for transfer belt skew.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Brianneoe thought he had got to the source of the problem back in June when he discovered that there was intermittent continuity between the drum shaft and ground and having cleaned the bearing the problem seemed to be solved but he posted next day to say that the black line was back. It makes sense that a drum shaft should have a continuous path to ground. Way back in the 80s there was a Mita DC513 and we had to put vaseline on the grounding plate going to the drum shaft because the arcing would cause the machine to crash. As soon as I get a free morning I will "manufacture" a grounding plate for the drum shaft and to ensure good contact, use some conductive grease. I will let you know if that solves it.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera 7002i thick solid black line

Quote Originally Posted by ShayMoe View Post
    Brianneoe thought he had got to the source of the problem back in June when he discovered that there was intermittent continuity between the drum shaft and ground and having cleaned the bearing the problem seemed to be solved but he posted next day to say that the black line was back. It makes sense that a drum shaft should have a continuous path to ground. Way back in the 80s there was a Mita DC513 and we had to put vaseline on the grounding plate going to the drum shaft because the arcing would cause the machine to crash. As soon as I get a free morning I will "manufacture" a grounding plate for the drum shaft and to ensure good contact, use some conductive grease. I will let you know if that solves it.
    Ever try conductive grease on the drum shaft?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Ever try conductive grease on the drum shaft?
    302LC94790 Grease Floil G-347CA (10g) SP (low impedance grease) for drum shaft and all drum contact areas....