Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SMTP Relay for copiers in 2020

We have used Gmail to relay email from several hundred copiers. We did this first by using the Less Secure Apps setting. Then, when we learned that this setting will go away in February 2021, we started using app passwords with 2 factor authentication. This method is messier, and we're looking for the new best universal solution. So far, we think Sendgrid looks good.

I would love to hear this lovely community's thoughts on what you all are using and have used for SMTP relay service.

Thanks very much in advance.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: SMTP Relay for copiers in 2020

You might want to check with GoDaddy. I believe their smtp.secureserver.net still supports port 80 with no security. The other option is to have the customer install a software relay such as seunnel on one of their computers.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I’ve been using smtp2go.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

We use SMTP2go.com ha e been using it for the past few years. We have an extra business domain that we use for customers machines eg customer@business.net
    We charge for this service, we call it a scanning contract, it covers doc feeder feed kits and remote support.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: SMTP Relay for copiers in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by clint@clintsimonsen.com View Post
    We use SMTP2go.com ha e been using it for the past few years. We have an extra business domain that we use for customers machines eg customer@business.net
    We charge for this service, we call it a scanning contract, it covers doc feeder feed kits and remote support.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Excellent idea!
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts copyman20's Avatar

We use smtp2go as well. However, we help register the customer with the free account. This way, they own the account. If they loose the password, they can recover it.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Just stumbled across this thread as I was browsing the forum, and had a bit of a (pre)senior moment thinking that my earlier response to it had somehow been removed, until I realized that I had responded to the EXACT same thread in the Ricoh forum.

I never quite understand why posters feel the need to clog up the forum by posting the exact same question in multiple locations .

Anyway.....I'll throw another vote in for SMTP2go as I did on the other thread.

Very easy, and reliable

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Just stumbled across this thread as I was browsing the forum, and had a bit of a (pre)senior moment thinking that my earlier response to it had somehow been removed, until I realized that I had responded to the EXACT same thread in the Ricoh forum.

I never quite understand why posters feel the need to clog up the forum by posting the exact same question in multiple locations .

Anyway.....I'll throw another vote in for SMTP2go as I did on the other thread.

Very easy, and reliable
    I usually look at connectivity if there are new posts within the last day before I look at copier forums. Therefore I saw this one first. Probably why I was first to reply.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I usually look at connectivity if there are new posts within the last day before I look at copier forums. Therefore I saw this one first. Probably why I was first to reply.
    My shortcut on my browser takes me directly to the Ricoh forum, since that's basically all I work on

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You might want to check with GoDaddy. I believe their smtp.secureserver.net still supports port 80 with no security. The other option is to have the customer install a software relay such as seunnel on one of their computers.
    You are correct, but would like to add that using port 3535 would be better. Using port 3535 on GoDaddy has solved many problems for us.