Page 5 of 139 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    I just leave AngryIP Scanner to run thru all the ranges.
    Lot quicker if you have an idea of what the address range and class was.
    How would this compare to wireshark?
    Wireshark captures everything on a network or in this case a printer and since there is no scanning its a lot faster.
    Once i discovered the ip address range the customer was using I used angry ip to find the subsequent printers.
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    Wireshark captures everything on a network or in this case a printer and since there is no scanning its a lot faster.
    Once i discovered the ip address range the customer was using I used angry ip to find the subsequent printers.
    lots of good info here thanks guys!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I also use Angry IP scanner on a regular basis.

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish as to whether you use Angry IP Scanner or Wireshark. They are absolutely related utilities, but different.

You can also run either without having installed it. Angry IP Scanner gives you the option when you open it, and there is a different version of Wireshark you can download.

One thing about Wireshark: If you are going to run it on your notebook on a network, you will need to share the printer’s connection with a hub, not a switch, as a hub will let you see all traffic on it, where a switch will not (The switch will show some traffic, such as broadcasts, but not what you need.)

I don’t think hubs are made any more, but you can find used ones on eBay, or other sites. I think I paid $3.00 for my last one, although it was sans power supply. Fortunately, I had a spare with the right specs.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Thought I'd give an update:

I really had no idea what I was getting myself into when I decided to learn networking from the ground up. It's now quite clear to me that this is gonna be a very long process. This isn't something you can learn in a few months. This is gonna take some time.

Secondly, there have been many people that have reached out to me and offered to help and really gave some good advice. I want to thank each one of you. Right now what I'm learning is a lot of theory. I'm learning protocols currently. I know I probably don't need to learn a lot of this stuff to network a copier but I was instantly "hooked" on learning about networking about 5-minutes after I started reading about it.

Again, I want to thank everyone that has helped. I cannot say enough good things about this community. The members on here have been incredible. Some of you have gone to great lengths to educate me.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Thought I'd give an update:

I really had no idea what I was getting myself into when I decided to learn networking from the ground up. It's now quite clear to me that this is gonna be a very long process. This isn't something you can learn in a few months. This is gonna take some time.

Secondly, there have been many people that have reached out to me and offered to help and really gave some good advice. I want to thank each one of you. Right now what I'm learning is a lot of theory. I'm learning protocols currently. I know I probably don't need to learn a lot of this stuff to network a copier but I was instantly "hooked" on learning about networking about 5-minutes after I started reading about it.

Again, I want to thank everyone that has helped. I cannot say enough good things about this community. The members on here have been incredible. Some of you have gone to great lengths to educate me.
    Networking isn't easy proper IT stuff also. We can mock and criticize some ITs but the truth is good IT is like good tech with 20-30 years experience each at his area.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

I'm done with protocols and finally something I can use for copiers.

Protocols are simply a set of rules that each computer agree to in order to communicate with one another and every protocol has a specified port. Sometimes more than one.

HTTP (port 443) is used to pull up a webpage. But if you're on Amazon and it asks you for your credit card information, it will switch over to HTTPS because it is secure, or encrypted.

There are many protocols used for different purposes. The ones that relate to copiers are SMTP (port 25), TLS/SSL (port 465). Of course TTL/SSL adds a layer of security.

StartTLS (port 587) is a protocol command used to inform the email server that the email client wants to upgrade from an insecure connection to a secure one using TLS or SSL. StartTLS is used with SMTP and IMAP, while POP3 uses the slightly different command for encryption, STLS.

To date, I had no idea how any of that worked, I just typed the port number in the correct box and it was magic as far as I was concerned.

PS - Those aren't the only protocols used for copiers. You also have FTP (port 21). I'm sure there are others (TCP).

PSS - Protocols reside on the Transport Layer of the OSI model.

If I got any of that wrong, feel free to correct me.

Edit: I did have something wrong. Different protocols reside in different layers of the OSI models. SMTP, TLS/SSL, for example, reside in Layer 7...the application layer. TCP protocol is in the transport layer. Other protocols are in other layers.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 11-10-2020 at 06:01 AM.

Smb scanning is on port 445 or 139

Port 80 and 443 are ports generally associated with "the Internet". Port 443/HTTPS is the HTTP protocol over TLS/SSL. Port 80/HTTP is the World Wide Web. ... If web servers are being hosted, connections will be allowed inbound to those web servers.

Reading this thread reminded me of a geek joke I thought I would share.
    0.jpg

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I found a few useful YouTube videos on the OSI model. I realize there are tons of 'em.

Not super detailed, so it's a bit easier on the brain, but still quite informative:

OSI Model Explained | OSI Animation | Open System Interconnection Model | OSI 7 layers | TechTerms - YouTube

The one below is a bit older, but still true (the OSI model has been around since the '80s). I don't like how he somewhat glosses over Layer 4, the Transport Layer, but it's otherwise pretty accurate.

The OSI Model Demystified - YouTube
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I found a few useful YouTube videos on the OSI model. I realize there are tons of 'em.

Not super detailed, so it's a bit easier on the brain, but still quite informative:

OSI Model Explained | OSI Animation | Open System Interconnection Model | OSI 7 layers | TechTerms - YouTube

The one below is a bit older, but still true (the OSI model has been around since the '80s). I don't like how he somewhat glosses over Layer 4, the Transport Layer, but it's otherwise pretty accurate.

The OSI Model Demystified - YouTube
    I had already watched the one with Eli the Computer Guy. It does help when someone breaks it down in layman's terms. Hopefully, I'll get started on learning wireshark soon. I want to learn a little more before getting started so that it makes some kind of sense.