Page 31 of 139 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181131 ... LastLast

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

One day at a time
    each anti virus company will usally let you list the copier as a trusted device. However an update from them may turn it back on so its blocked again.
    Ever changing Fun.

Or MS will do an update that breaks SMB scanning or changes the firewall setting.

One day at a time.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    One day at a time
    each anti virus company will usally let you list the copier as a trusted device. However an update from them may turn it back on so its blocked again.
    Ever changing Fun.

Or MS will do an update that breaks SMB scanning or changes the firewall setting.

One day at a time.

I hear ya, brother. I think what I'm gonna start doing is to have all my new customers fill out a network form and have them to list the anti-virus software that they're running. That way I will be prepared for it.

Another thing I learned (it's been mentioned in this thread but not in any great detail) is that when a computer is set up on a "public" network that anti-virus software will view it as a threat and block more things.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I hear ya, brother. I think what I'm gonna start doing is to have all my new customers fill out a network form and have them to list the anti-virus software that they're running. That way I will be prepared for it.
    Noble intention, but I wouldn't count on getting many responses...let alone honest ones.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Noble intention, but I wouldn't count on getting many responses...let alone honest ones.
    I'll take your word for it. I guess that I need to get thru my head that there is no bullet-proof procedure for doing this and I'm just gonna have to figure some things out on the fly.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I'm now able to network a copier just about any way it needs to be done. More importantly, I actually understand it instead of entering a bunch of numbers like a monkey....that's what I was doing before but didn't understand what they meant.

Anyway, networking a copier no longer concerns me. Neither does scan to folder. Well, that's not entirely true. There's one thing that brings me a lil' discomfort. And that's anti-virus software blocking the shared folder.

What I see in most offices is that they're running Windows Defender and are also running an anti-virus software on top of that. Sure, I can turn off the virus software and deduce if that's the problem. But what do you do next? You can't leave it off or uninstall it.

I'm not experienced like some of you and I find it really difficult to navigate my way thru so many virus applications in order to allow SMB thru the firewall.

So, what I have begun to do is to create a database on all the most popular anti-virus software with detailed instructions for allowing shared folders thru the firewall.

I'm curious...how do others approach this?
    Usually it is not the anti virus per se but the firewall portion of the security suite. I prefer a quality stand alone malicious software protection that will catch anything that get through the firewall and let Windows firewall do its job.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Another thing I learned (it's been mentioned in this thread but not in any great detail) is that when a computer is set up on a "public" network that anti-virus software will view it as a threat and block more things.
    When you are part of a 'private' network the computer knows that the firewall in the router will be taking care of blocking most bad actors out there in the world. When on a 'public' network it assumes there is no external firewall. The problem with router firewalls is laptops and other portable devices that can introduce viruses, worms and trojans behind the router, some of which can detect and infect every vulnerable device on the local network.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    When you are part of a 'private' network the computer knows that the firewall in the router will be taking care of blocking most bad actors out there in the world. When on a 'public' network it assumes there is no external firewall. The problem with router firewalls is laptops and other portable devices that can introduce viruses, worms and trojans behind the router, some of which can detect and infect every vulnerable device on the local network.

Slim, you've really been a big help to me. I read back through this thread and I must have asked you guys a thousand questions. I appreciate the patience while I learn this stuff.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Slim, you've really been a big help to me. I read back through this thread and I must have asked you guys a thousand questions. I appreciate the patience while I learn this stuff.
    Being retired I have plenty of time. CTN helps me keep my mind sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

I've been experimenting with Windows Firewall & Public/Private Network settings to get a better understanding of exactly what's happening.

Disclaimer: I know I can just set the network to "private" and not have to worry about it.

First things first: Slim is exactly right. When you are on a public network, Windows firewall is much more restrictive because it assumes there is no external firewall. To confirm this, I set my network to "public" and tried scanning from an MFP. It blocked SMB. Again, to confirm this, I turned off Windows firewall for the public network only and SMB worked again.

I like to know why things work the way they do, now I know.

But this got me to thinking. Is it possible to turn off the Window's firewall rules that are blocking SMB on the public network or make a new rule that allows SMB on a public network. Thus for I've tried everything I can think of with no success.

If anyone can think of anything, let me know. Again, it's not that important...just experimenting.

Edit: Should I also assume that when a computer is on a "public" network that 3rd party security suites will be more restrictive than on a "private" network?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

That 6 page network survey can be your enemy. Miraculously, I got a few of those filled out. So when I arrived they said:" Oh, just set up 'everything'."

I ask: "... so what's 'everything'?"
    "You know, FTP, SMB, email, printing, ... on every computer in the building. Will an hour be enough?"

My advice is not to put any additional ideas into their heads. Local IT has the right idea, Keep it as simple as possible. Easier to maintain.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=