Page 39 of 139 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989 ... LastLast
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Also, its been mentioned on here that a tech was doing an install and was given an IP address for the copier but couldn't ping it and it stil worked fine.The reason for that is the IT Admin had disabled Protocol ICMPv4 for that particular IP address. Ping uses ICMPv4 to ping an IP address.
    Trivia question: What port number (if any) does ping.exe use by default? You have 30 seconds... and NO Googling!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Trivia question: What port number (if any) does ping.exe use by default? You have 30 seconds... and NO Googling!

LOL. I'm not gonna lie to you...I don't know.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Good question got me thinking I mean googling, got any more?
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    Good question got me thinking I mean googling, got any more?
    The answer: None. It was a trick question.

Billy's post about ICMP got me thinking about it. I've had this issue come up many times before.

Rather than me copying and pasting, check out the site below. Yeah, I Googled it. Sue me.

How To Ping Specific Port Number – devconnected
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

The answer: None. It was a trick question.

Billy's post about ICMP got me thinking about it. I've had this issue come up many times before.

Rather than me copying and pasting, check out the site below. Yeah, I Googled it. Sue me.

How To Ping Specific Port Number – devconnected

Good info in that article. It mentioned telnet. I've been using that a lot for troubleshooting SMTP. I've found it very useful. I talked about it in this thread.

Edit: I actually used telnet to send an email.

Edit 2: I've been meaning to thank Ken for turning me on to VMware. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. You can build a virtual network with multiple servers. Thank you.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Good info in that article. It mentioned telnet. I've been using that a lot for troubleshooting SMTP. I've found it very useful. I talked about it in this thread.

Although I agree on using telnet for troubleshooting scan to email problems, telnet client should be first turned on in Windows features which may be sometimes problematic on users PCs.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Although I agree on using telnet for troubleshooting scan to email problems, telnet client should be first turned on in Windows features which may be sometimes problematic on users PCs.

Everything I'm doing is on my computer lab. I haven't actually used it in a customers office. Yes, I had to enable Telnet on my PC. Thus far I haven't encountered any problems. What type of problems are you referring to? The last thing I want to do is create a problem.

Edit 2: I've been meaning to thank Ken for turning me on to VMware. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. You can build a virtual network with multiple servers. Thank you.
    You're quite welcome.

I actually spend most of my time in a Ubuntu Linux VM, so I can keep my Windows 10 machine as "cootie-free" and clean as possible. I only use Windows when I have to, and normally in a Server 2019 VM.

My next step is to get some more RAM so that I can run both VMs at the same time. With only 12 GB, it's a bit sluggish. Santa didn't bring me any for Christmas, so I guess I'll have to buy it on my own.

You're quite welcome.

I actually spend most of my time in a Ubuntu Linux VM, so I can keep my Windows 10 machine as "cootie-free" and clean as possible. I only use Windows when I have to, and normally in a Server 2019 VM.

My next step is to get some more RAM so that I can run both VMs at the same time. With only 12 GB, it's a bit sluggish. Santa didn't bring me any for Christmas, so I guess I'll have to buy it on my own.

Right now I'm running 2 Windows 2019 VM servers and it's definitely sluggish. I have a friend that has built several PC's for me. I think I'm gonna have him build me a PC powerful enough to run several VM's. It's such a great tool for learning. I've trashed several virtual operating systems by experimenting and it's easy to just delete and start over. I've become a damn expert on VMware. lol

Right now I'm running 2 Windows 2019 VM servers and it's definitely sluggish. I have a friend that has built several PC's for me. I think I'm gonna have him build me a PC powerful enough to run several VM's. It's such a great tool for learning. I've trashed several virtual operating systems by experimenting and it's easy to just delete and start over. I've become a damn expert on VMware. lol
    I used to support a bunch of different software, including RightFax, Equitrac, AutoStore, Streamline, eCopy, Laserfiche and others, where I needed a demo copy running in the office to test with and use in customer demos.

We were able to get a server with a lot of RAM, where we had at least 10 different server VMs running, normally 5 or 6 at a time.

A lot of these software solutions didn't play nice together, so they had to be run on separate servers.

If a VM ever got funky, it took only minutes to spin up a new one.