Page 44 of 139 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Need some advice on learning networking

Re: Need some advice on learning networking

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    PS - I'll have to double check on the local Admin thing. I've been doing a lot of stuff with Windows sever and I could have mistakenly not have given local admin rights to the user I created. I'll double check tomorrow. You have me wondering now. lol
    Quick question, is the 20196 Server running as a VM on the the Windows 10 Pro? If it is then that could be the problem.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Quick question, is the 20196 Server running as a VM on the the Windows 10 Pro? If it is then that could be the problem.
    I'm running 3 VM machines. 1 Windows 2019 Server and 2 Windows 10 Pro.

I wonder if there's a way to to grant level up rights for a local Admin. There's probably is.

Quick update: Slim was correct. When a user is assigned Local Admin Rights they can install software and perform other rights.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Billy you pushed forward many of us including me to refresh or learn something new network-wise. Honestly me being copier engineer with modest overall networking skills following your thread with great interest and read many new(or forgotten ) stuff. Thank You for that!
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Billy you pushed forward many of us including me to refresh or learn something new network-wise. Honestly me being copier engineer with modest overall networking skills following your thread with great interest and read many new(or forgotten ) stuff. Thank You for that!

My dear ol" Dad always used to say that there are 2 things required for learning: 1.) desire + 2.) time. If you have the desire and enough time, you can learn anything.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    This thread has been the can of compressed air to my cobwebs and dust bunnies, no doubt!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quick update: Slim was correct. When a user is assigned Local Admin Rights they can install software and perform other rights.
    Here's the mistake I made when assigning local admin rights. I hope that I can explain it. Here goes nothing....

When you assign Admin Rights, they are attached to a computer. Or multiple computers if you desire. This is done by the computer name being attached to a user. The mistake I made was I logged in using a local admin account on a computer that was already assigned to someone else. The solution was I added that computer to the appropriate group. Something like that.

Just a quick note and I'll stop beating folks over the head with this stuff. The name of the game in Windows Server is "groups." Groups, groups, groups. Even if it's only a single user in a department...set him up in a group. If not you'll regret it later if someone else is hired for that department.

Also, file sharing is taken to a whole new level in Windows Server. It'll blow you're mind.

Does anyone have any experience with "Folder Redirect"? Basically what it does is this: If a copier scans to a shared folder in the server, that shared folder can be set to redirect the document to other shared folders on other PC's.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

My dear ol" Dad always used to say that there are 2 things required for learning: 1.) desire + 2.) time. If you have the desire and enough time, you can learn anything.
    Dads always know better

Some good network info here:
    Best Practices
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.