Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Canon IR Advance washed out copies on 1 side when duplexing

I have a Canon IRA 4225 that has started making washed out copies (and prints) but ONLY when using the duplex. As you can see I’m the pix one side looks good but the other is super washed out. I numbered the pages as they were in the document feeder and the paper that was on top in the doc feeder is the one that came out washed out. So basically if I make a double sided copy then 1 side comes out good and one side is washed out. In the pix with the font list page 003 was on top in the doc feeder and page 004 was on the bottom in doc feeder.

I also tried to do a graduation adjustment but it kept saying I needed to out the paper on the glass properly and I was never able to completely finish it even though I got as far as the last sheet it printed needing to be scanned. I included a pic of that sheet also.

the machine has leas than 70k pages and is in a clean office setting.

all suggestions appreciated!! TIA

UPDATE: Pix are loaded in my reply
    Last edited by CopierChick; 01-07-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Canon IR Advance washed out copies on 1 side when duplexing

Quote Originally Posted by CopierChick View Post
    I have a Canon IRA 4225 that has started making washed out copies (and prints) but ONLY when using the duplex. As you can see I’m the pix one side looks good but the other is super washed out. I numbered the pages as they were in the document feeder and the paper that was on top in the doc feeder is the one that came out washed out.

I also tried to do a graduation adjustment but it kept saying I needed to out the paper on the glass properly and I was never able to completely finish it even though I got as far as the last sheet it printed needing to be scanned. I included a pic of that sheet also.

the machine has leas than 70k pages and is in a clean office setting.

all suggestions appreciated!! TIA

UPDATE: I am trying to upload pix but having an issue. Will be able to add them soon hopefully
    It's weird that it only shows up when duplexing, but if you're having trouble with the images uploading you can post a link to something like google drive. Or flickr is free image hosting that won't reveal your email address if you prefer.

Edit> You say when duplexing but do both sides come out light or just the side that was duplexed? Edit 2> Your title clearly says one side, my bad.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Pix attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Strange problem, indeed.

The blacks looked washed out. I'd say DV or moisture in paper but if it's only doing it in duplex... that rules that out.

What kind of paper are they using?

Can you print out some solid black pages?

Have you tried printing on both sides of the page using the bypass tray? If so, what does the 2nd side look like?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M94 View Post
    It's weird that it only shows up when duplexing, but if you're having trouble with the images uploading you can post a link to something like google drive. Or flickr is free image hosting that won't reveal your email address if you prefer.

Edit> You say when duplexing but do both sides come out light or just the side that was duplexed?
    when I take 2 good pages and put them in the doc feeder and use the duplex to make this 2 sheets become 1 sheet front and back then 1 side looks good but the other side looks all washed out. The pix with the font lists were what came out front and back. Btw, the customer says this also happens when they print double sided pages.

If you do single sided copies and prints they look great but double sided pages always have 1 side all washed out and 1 side great

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Strange problem, indeed.

The blacks looked washed out. I'd say DV or moisture in paper but if it's only doing it in duplex... that rules that out.

What kind of paper are they using?

Can you print out some solid black pages?

Have you tried printing on both sides of the page using the bypass tray? If so, what does the 2nd side look like?

the paper they are using in a basic sams club brand which I also use and have no issues with

i am no longer at the customers but can definitely try the solid blacks next visit

i tried printing on both sides using both paper trays and even changed the paper direction in each tray and had the same exact outcome but I didn’t try the bypass, do you think that would make a difference?

when I take 2 good pages and put them in the doc feeder and use the duplex to make this 2 sheets become 1 sheet front and back then 1 side looks good but the other side looks all washed out. The pix with the font lists were what came out front and back. Btw, the customer says this also happens when they print double sided pages.

If you do single sided copies and prints they look great but double sided pages always have 1 side all washed out and 1 side great

Understood. I've seen cheap paper do some strange things. I'd rule that out 1st. Take some good paper with you.

Also, make a single side copy like you'd normally do and then put that page in the bypass and print on the 2nd side. I'd be curious to see if the problem goes away.

PS - Is this a single pass doc. feeder? I'm not familar with this brand.

the paper they are using in a basic sams club brand which I also use and have no issues with

i am no longer at the customers but can definitely try the solid blacks next visit

i tried printing on both sides using both paper trays and even changed the paper direction in each tray and had the same exact outcome but I didn’t try the bypass, do you think that would make a difference?
    It would eliminate the the possibility that the paper is somehow curling when it goes thru the switchback gate when duplexing. That's my line of thinking. But again, I don't work on Canon.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Understood. I've seen cheap paper do some strange things. I'd rule that out 1st. Take some good paper with you.

Also, make a single side copy like you'd normally do and then put that page in the bypass and print on the 2nd side. I'd be curious to see if the problem goes away.

PS - Is this a single pass doc. feeder? I'm not familar with this brand.

I has the customer try a brand new unopened ream of HP branded paper made for Copiers and it made no difference.

I also had the customer run the pages thru the bypass like you would normally if making a double sided copy and it made no difference. I then had them run the page as you suggested by running one side and then putting it in the bypass and the copies come out good. But I figured that would happen since the copier does great when doing single sided pages or pages.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

It would eliminate the the possibility that the paper is somehow curling when it goes thru the switchback gate when duplexing. That's my line of thinking. But again, I don't work on Canon.
    if it was curling wouldn’t it mess up the image as opposed to just making it look washed out? Like would it be smeared or missing parts??