Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera General Question

Re: Kyocera General Question

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Generally speaking the issue hasn't been transfer voltage, it's been fusing. And yes, selecting the correct media type works every time, if you can convince your enduser to do so.

Kyocera TA 3550ci Lower half of Color Copy Black not fusing

The best way to clear up the Media Type confusion is to rename the Custom Media types to match the actual gsm paper weight:

Kyocera Ta 3501i New Fuser issue

I've never had to use U106.
    If you've never had to use U106, I won't worry about it. Just for discussion purposes, it appears to me that that secondary transfer voltage is preset for every type of paper that you select (exp. cardstock) and if it isn't tranferring correctly that you can change the preset individually for every type of media. I could be wrong.

With that said, I'm moving on from U106.

PS - Thanks for more valuable information.

Kyocera General Question

Generally speaking the issue hasn't been transfer voltage, it's been fusing. And yes, selecting the correct media type works every time, if you can convince your enduser to do so.

The best way to clear up the Media Type confusion is to rename the Custom Media types to match the actual gsm paper weight:

Kyocera Ta 3501i New Fuser issue

I've never had to use U106.
    Wow, I just read thru the threads that you posted. That was one hell of an education on media types, fusing and little tricks to help the enduser make the right selection.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera General Question

For any of that to work, you need two things to happen:

1) You need to have an enduser that uses a wide variety of media. Most Kyocera users use primarily 75gsm Plain paper.
    2) You need an enduser that cares enough to:
    a) convert whatever # weight to gsm.
    b) set the correct media type in the desired tray
    c) set the correct media type in the print driver

Thus far, there have been exactly (3) such Kyocera endusers that cared enough.

One additional comment: For fusing semi-gloss (avoid full gloss) +1 level heaver media setting.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Kyocera General Question

For any of that to work, you need two things to happen:

1) You need to have an enduser that uses a wide variety of media. Most Kyocera users use primarily 75gsm Plain paper.
    2) You need an enduser that cares enough to:
    a) convert whatever # weight to gsm.
    b) set the correct media type in the desired tray
    c) set the correct media type in the print driver

Thus far, there have been exactly (3) such Kyocera endusers that cared enough.

One additional comment: For fusing semi-gloss (avoid full gloss) +1 level heaver media setting.

=^..^=

I'm with you on endusers. Years ago, about 70% of all print shops on the coast were customers of mine. They seem to have a much better understanding of why they need to select the right type of media. Some of them were also big pain in ass. The owner of one print shop pulled out a jeweler's loop to show me that he could see the different colors on the edges of the text. You couldn't see it with the naked eye, but thru the loop you could. I finally had to tell him that this wasn't his million dollar printing press that he was running...it's a copier.

I've never set up the custom media types but I am gonna do it because I know at some point it will come in handy. Thanks again, blackcat.

Kyocera General Question

Just a quick follow up:

From what I've learned from blackcat and from KYO, there are 2 ways of troubleshooting a problem. Blackcat has found his own way of diagnosing a problem and I won't cover it here because he posted it in this thread. To be perfectly honest, I prefer his method as it's probably easier & quicker.

However, there's a lot to be gleaned from KYO's method of looking at the data on the maintenance report. This data really allows you to do a deep dive and further isolate the problem. I would use this method in some situations. This data tells an important story. The only drawback is that some of this information isn't readily available in the service manual. Again, to be perfectly honest, it may not be a bad idea to look at this data from the jump.

What I'm fairly certain of is that it's not a bad idea to know both methods. But KYO's method is dependent on having a firm understanding the data.

Most problems on Kyocera are common you will see over and over again for bad imaging Bad fuser, Dev units, Drum units and transfer belts.
    Other problems are also common feed tires broken gear etc......

The manual was written by engineering who never tested the machine in field.

Example a C code the manual says this, but something else caused the trouble code that's Not in the book

Kyocera Design in Japan
    Build in China
    Tested in the USA

Kyocera General Question

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Most problems on Kyocera are common you will see over and over again for bad imaging Bad fuser, Dev units, Drum units and transfer belts.
    Other problems are also common feed tires broken gear etc......

The manual was written by engineering who never tested the machine in field.

Example a C code the manual says this, but something else caused the trouble code that's Not in the book

Kyocera Design in Japan
    Build in China
    Tested in the USA

I agree with that. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING takes the place of EXPERIENCE. But anyone that has worked on copiers for any amount of times knows that sooner or later we're gonna run into a problem that kicks our ass. When the shit hits the fan, the more information you have, the better.

Personally, I can't have enough resources or information.

Would you like to weigh in on how you read the data on the maintenance report to help you identify a problem? I'd be interested in hearing it. And I'm not talking about the normal error codes.

Kyocera General Question

I had to deliver a waste toner container to an account that was giving me blue backgrounding problems a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the cyan DV to correct. I was able to confirm what KYO told me. If you look @ U468/V-correction, it does indeed tell you whether or not the last 16 calibrations failed/passed.

When I arrived V-correction was showing that the 15th & 16th calibrations failed. So I ran calibration twice while I was there and V-correction (after I converted to binary) read 1111 1111 1111 1111. It was reading 0011 1111 1111 1111 prior to performing calibration twice. This is not in the service manual.

Kyocera General Question

I'm on U155/Waste Toner full/almost full

So, under U155 you can check the status of WTS1 & WTS2. The manual doesn't tell what the status should be. Not that I could find. I had to do a little experimenting.

If you look at the waste toner bottle, there are 2 windows on the neck of the bottle. If you're looking at the neck of the bottle like it sits in the machine. there's one window on the left and another on the right. A light shines thru the windows and if toner isn't blocking the light, the value of WTS1 & WTS2 = 0 for both. If toner is blocking the sensor the value = 1. I did this by using a small piece of black electrical tape.

But that was only for STS1. I wasn't able to change the state of WTS2/near full. I'll keep working at it.

EDIT: My goal is to be able to manipulate the value of both sensors from 1 to 0 in order to determine if one of the sensors are bad (or broken wire/loose connection/bent pin, ect.) or the problem is with the waste toner bottle itself.

EDIT: You can also trick the sensors by putting a white pience of tape on the windows. So, I don't guess the light is shining thru the windows, it's reflecting off the windows back to the sensors. White reflects light. Black absorbs light. Right? Right.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 01-19-2021 at 03:23 AM.

Kyocera General Question

U156 is an interesting one. This deals with toner replenishment for C, Y, M, K. The only reason I can see for changing the value is if a customer were running pages with high toner coverage and the machine couldn't replenish the toner fast enough. But I would have to run some tests to see how/if this affects the calibration process. I don't know if it's worth the time and effort but I'm gonna do it anyway. You never know...it may come in handy one day and I'm taking notes for every thing I'm doing.