Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    7003i scans intermittent upside down

Out of a scan of 25 placed portrait on the ADF, two or three pages will show up in the pdf upside down.

Replaced Main PWB per techsupport. Updated firmware. Initialized Memory U021.

Copies are fine.

What do you think?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: 7003i scans intermittent upside down

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Out of a scan of 25 placed portrait on the ADF, two or three pages will show up in the pdf upside down.

Replaced Main PWB per techsupport. Updated firmware. Initialized Memory U021.

Copies are fine.

What do you think?
    r
    Try manually configuring the "original orientation" in the scan settings and see if the problem persists. I'm justing wondering if the ADF size sensors are dirty or faulty.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 02-04-2021 at 02:59 AM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

which combination of scan settings are being used for the job? such as original image type, color, speed(quality priority/speed priority), and destination(email/smb/usb).

Are the originals single sided, or duplex?

Do any upside down pages appear in copy jobs?

If you scan the same stack again, does it flip the same pages?

I'm reminded of a newly installed mind-bender from a while back where an 8003i gave me the odd upside down page during copy jobs (from single-sided originals or double sided, didn't matter), and that it mattered what was printed on the pages. It would always flip the same page(s) in repeated jobs using the same originals, even if I took those suspect pages out and ran them separately, I would get a completely upside down output.

I ended up discovering that wiping the device restored normal operation, and restoring the u917 backup brought the problem back. Specifically, restoring the "Job Setting" file of the backup caused the issue. I never learned exactly what was in that file to cause it, and the customer never noticed anything missing by leaving it out, so that's how it remains to this day. I sent a copy of the backup to my KYO rep.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I would also check, to make sure that those 2-3 originals weren't upside down...otherwise more than likely all of the stack would be upside

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

SmartSelect_20210203-165942_Video Player.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    r
    Try manually configuring the "original orientation" in the scan settings and see if the problem persists. I'm justing wondering if the ADF size sensors are dirty or faulty.
    Thanks Billy! Upon leaving the customer I did just that as you can see in the picture. Orientation was on Auto, I set the default to "Top Edge On Top" and voila, no turning upside down on any scans.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparkycivic View Post
    which combination of scan settings are being used for the job? such as original image type, color, speed(quality priority/speed priority), and destination(email/smb/usb).

Are the originals single sided, or duplex?

Do any upside down pages appear in copy jobs?

If you scan the same stack again, does it flip the same pages?

I'm reminded of a newly installed mind-bender from a while back where an 8003i gave me the odd upside down page during copy jobs (from single-sided originals or double sided, didn't matter), and that it mattered what was printed on the pages. It would always flip the same page(s) in repeated jobs using the same originals, even if I took those suspect pages out and ran them separately, I would get a completely upside down output.

I ended up discovering that wiping the device restored normal operation, and restoring the u917 backup brought the problem back. Specifically, restoring the "Job Setting" file of the backup caused the issue. I never learned exactly what was in that file to cause it, and the customer never noticed anything missing by leaving it out, so that's how it remains to this day. I sent a copy of the backup to my KYO rep.
    It was single sided docs scanning to email, I have not tested duplex. And the copy jobs were right side up. I did notice, as you mentioned, that it was the same originals all the time. So the originals that were flipping upside down were copies of checks and copies of maps. The fix was the default setting of Original Orientation, it was set to Auto, and needs to be set to Top Edge On Top.

Thanks for your input

SmartSelect_20210203-165942_Video Player.jpg

Thanks Billy! Upon leaving the customer I did just that as you can see in the picture. Orientation was on Auto, I set the default to "Top Edge On Top" and voila, no turning upside down on any scans.
    You're not out of the woods yet I'm afraid. When you changed the original orientation from "auto" to "top edge on top", that is a temporary setting and the machine will default back to "auto". The reason I asked you to do this is for trouble-shooting purposes. You can create a 'shortcut" for "top edge out" if you wish. But the machine still has a problem. It shouldn't be flipping the image when auto is selected.

One last question: I'm looking at the image you posted. Was there an original in the doc feeder at the time when you took the picture? Your image doesn't show the original size on the screen. It should show the original size if you have a document in the doc feeder tray.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    You're not out of the woods yet I'm afraid. When you changed the original orientation from "auto" to "top edge on top", that is a temporary setting and the machine will default back to "auto". The reason I asked you to do this is for trouble-shooting purposes. You can create a 'shortcut" for "top edge out" if you wish. But the machine still has a problem. It shouldn't be flipping the image when auto is selected.

What size are the originals? By chance is it statement LEF?

One last question: I'm looking at the image you posted. Was there an original in the doc feeder at the time when you took the picture? Your image doesn't show the original size on the screen. It should show the original size if you have a document in the doc feeder tray.

Re: your concern on Default on "Auto" or reverting back to "Auto" for control panel settings
    I actually went into the "System Settings" on the control panel and set the Send Settings to default the Original Orientation to "Top Edge on Top". So it should not be defaulting back to Auto unless someone does it on the fly or changes the System Setting default back to "Auto". I actually tested this by selecting "Auto" during a scan and pressing Reset to see if it goes back to "Top Edge on Top", and it did. Thanks for the input.

And yes, the flipping of some images upside down on "Auto" setting is a concern and will be forwarded to our DSM. It only did it to copies of checks and copies of maps, which to the processor may look like image files, i really dunno? Curious to find out. I remember in training this problem was mentioned and did not think about it until now, years later.

Originals are Letter size and placed Portrait on the feed tray.

Correct, the image of orientation is not in the picture because I did not have an original placed on the ADF, I just wanted to take a quick a shot of where on the panel I made progress.

thanks for the input!

Re: your concern on Default on "Auto" or reverting back to "Auto" for control panel settings
    I actually went into the "System Settings" on the control panel and set the Send Settings to default the Original Orientation to "Top Edge on Top". So it should not be defaulting back to Auto unless someone does it on the fly or changes the System Setting default back to "Auto". I actually tested this by selecting "Auto" during a scan and pressing Reset to see if it goes back to "Top Edge on Top", and it did. Thanks for the input.

And yes, the flipping of some images upside down on "Auto" setting is a concern and will be forwarded to our DSM. It only did it to copies of checks and copies of maps, which to the processor may look like image files, i really dunno? Curious to find out. I remember in training this problem was mentioned and did not think about it until now, years later.

Originals are Letter size and placed Portrait on the feed tray.

Correct, the image of orientation is not in the picture because I did not have an original placed on the ADF, I just wanted to take a quick a shot of where on the panel I made progress.

thanks for the input!

Got ya. It's interesting that it's only flipping the image for maps and checks. I'll have to make note of that in case I ever run into it