Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Windows server 2019 kicking out printers on local workstations?

Re: Windows server 2019 kicking out printers on local workstations?

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    It is not the responsibility of copier service technicians to be messing around with Windows Server 2019.

Unless you were given the Admin Username and password, unlikely, I am not sure how you were able to install any print driver.

It is one thing to screw up an individual PC loading a print driver but the liabilities of screwing up a server are many times.
    Thanks, you're right and that's what I not did in the past decades. I kept my fingers from ANY server and left the liability to the IT-guys.

In this particular case the problem was that the owner complained that always the duplex mode was on when printing on several machines. So I offered to install at least one functional driver locally which worked perfectly and everybody in the office was happy. The owner was so proud that he told the IT-guy that I "fixed" the problem. IT-guy got angry and shouted to me, who do you think you are? You have no idea how I set up the server and you have no knowledge that the server will kick out anyway your driver.

I was baffled by this rude behavior and had unfortunately not an answer ready. The only thing I could say was, that when his set up was so advanced, than why the customer had these unwanted duplexing besides several other IT issues for months. IT-Guy left with a slamming door. Owner and me we both had a heartily laugh after this and we drank a beer together. Owner is 100% at my side since I always have a solution for any problem for him whatever the case.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

the only reason i get into server stuff is so if IT try to handball it back to me I know enough to know to confidently stand up to myself.

i dont want to know about anonymous relays or office365 but I've had to over the years to avoid blame being incorrectly put on me. IT guys can smell doubt lol

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have worked with good IT people and I have worked with bad IT people. The only I have had one say he was too busy with a problem he was fired at the end of the day by corporate IT office. I was called out because the executive in charge of the warehouse facility could not print to the MP C3503 setting 5 feet away from his desk but other of his people could. When I got there their relatively new IT person had been working for the last 5 hours on their routers trying to figure out why some people could not access the internet. It took me about 5 minutes to determine that their DHCP service was down. I contacted the receptionist and asked her to have the local IT person call me. She called me back to tell me he said he was too busy. Apparently she also the main IT office in Seattle as he called me. I told him what I found. He logged in remote to the server providing DHCP and restarted the service. He then called the receptionist and told her to do an announcement for everyone having a problem to reboot their computers.
    Last edited by slimslob; 02-24-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

people in IT are the worst.i prob convinve customers the IT support they have is crap and have them go elsewhere atleast 1 per year.

ive had a IT guy respond "do we do that at the copier" when i asked him to net stop spooler / net start spooler to clear stuck jobs