Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    e2555c CE70 Drum switching error

From the service manual, please translate this Check Item.

Is the drum switching detection
    sensor (S11) working? (Perform
    the input check: 03-[ALL]OFF/[8]/
    [F] (Highlighted in the black
    mode))

... so I power off the copier.

I hold down 1,3 and Fax and power on the copier? Press 8.

In the LCD, panel I should see an F, if I press it, I will something light up in black, for the black drum, not light up it is the colour drum.

I just yesterday put in a used Yellow developer unit. All seemed well until today.

I think there is an error in the instructions.

F 1st transfer contact/non-contact sensor Color drive Black drive
    G Drum switching detection sensor Black drive Color drive

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: e2555c CE70 Drum switching error

You want to be in 03 mode. Hold down 03, power on.
    The password box may pop up. Unless someone put one in, just press enter/ok to continue.
    This puts you into 03 mode, INPUT mode. The fax button should be OFF, copy button OFF,
    scan button OFF. 100% displayed.
    Press (not hold) the 8 key on the 10 key pad. The letter stack A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H
    should show the G letter blink on/off, depending if the sensor is blocked or open.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty.Harris View Post
    You want to be in 03 mode. Hold down 03, power on.
    The password box may pop up. Unless someone put one in, just press enter/ok to continue.
    This puts you into 03 mode, INPUT mode. The fax button should be OFF, copy button OFF,
    scan button OFF. 100% displayed.
    Press (not hold) the 8 key on the 10 key pad. The letter stack A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H
    should show the G letter blink on/off, depending if the sensor is blocked or open.
    Thanks!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

CE70 was a lot more common on the eS4540C. And I would imagine that the eS2555C would have a similar drum drive unit.

On the eS4540C there was a worm gear drive that engaged the drive to the color drums (for color printing), and there was one of those pesky Sharp 73 photointerrupters in the drive unit that monitored the movement, actually (3) of those sensors (two for other purposes). On one occasion the previous tech had very thoroughly oiled the drum drive unit (including the photointerrupter). On another occasion the photointerrupter flaked out, like those Sharp 73 sensors did.

The Weisshorn Low uses a different sensor: C0-17839000. Keep in mind that if you disassemble this drive unit, the gears are timed (timing marks). The most common failure on drum drive units is taking them apart and disregarding the timing marks. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    CE70 was a lot more common on the eS4540C. And I would imagine that the eS2555C would have a similar drum drive unit.

On the eS4540C there was a worm gear drive that engaged the drive to the color drums (for color printing), and there was one of those pesky Sharp 73 photointerrupters in the drive unit that monitored the movement, actually (3) of those sensors (two for other purposes). On one occasion the previous tech had very thoroughly oiled the drum drive unit (including the photointerrupter). On another occasion the photointerrupter flaked out, like those Sharp 73 sensors did.

The Weisshorn Low uses a different sensor: C0-17839000. Keep in mind that if you disassemble this drive unit, the gears are timed (timing marks). The most common failure on drum drive units is taking them apart and disregarding the timing marks. =^..^=
    I have a dead e2555c in my copier graveyard that I plan to practise on this weekend. The copier was working fine until I put in a used Yellow Developer unit located on the other side of copier.

I did replace the paper exit guide with new copper bearings to fix a squeak. I know I reassembled that part back into the copier properly but there is a gear on the end of it which meshes with gears behind it that connect into the Drum Drive unit. I suspect I might have inflicted this service call upon myself.

The only other thing that that drive pack does is lower the color primary charge rollers.

I'll be interested in your findings. =^..^=

I've been looking at the documentation, and maybe ... if the primary transfer shift mechanism would not move ... maybe the drum drive motor might stall ... and maybe you might get a CE70 ...

???
    I just cannot connect a yellow developing unit or exit section bushings to CE70. =^..^=

drum drive pack.jpg

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

I hated the C0-10813000 sensors that were in the 2830 series. Once we found that bumping up the 5.1 line from ~4.8-4.9 to 5.12 most of the problems disappeared...after they fixed the issues with the sensor that is. We took a couple apart and found the light source and the receiver weren't even pointing at each other. ATSG/TTEC then found that some of them didn't even have the correct focus lens on the receiver!

Due to COVID-19 related shipping delays I got back to the customer site today and popped in a new Yellow Developer unit that I rebuilt at my home office. This solved the color problem.

Very helpful video:

Toshiba e-studio developer unit refurbishment - YouTube

The CE70 problem solved itself. I did not do anything and the copier has been running error free for a week. The copier is set to automatically email myself for any toner low/ service issues.

I have to assume that I inflicted the problem upon myself to fix a squeaky paper exit guide with new bearings. Maybe some gear teeth were not perfectly meshed and they just need some revolutions to reacquaint themselves.