Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MPC2051 jam code J064

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    PM counter.

Preventative Maintenance.
    Service parts that show end of life.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Ahh, ok, thank you so much!
    I have no idea whether the fuser unit has ever been replaced.
    I see I need to get hold of the service manual before I can do more serious diagnosing.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MPC2051 jam code J064

Quote Originally Posted by SteinarN View Post
    Ahh, ok, thank you so much!
    I have no idea whether the fuser unit has ever been replaced.
    I see I need to get hold of the service manual before I can do more serious diagnosing.
    note if the two axes with the black claws return to the starting position by moving them. Try the duplex with a different size (A3 or A4R)
    rub several times, use degreaser to clean the rubber rollers.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GIUBOSS View Post
    note if the two axes with the black claws return to the starting position by moving them. Try the duplex with a different size (A3 or A4R)
    rub several times, use degreaser to clean the rubber rollers.
    They do return, all three of them, freely. With A3 it is even worse.
    However, the fuser unit looks worn, the gears inside that is. The input gear has a lot of play against the axle, the last gear before the roller is very worn, that gear has less than half the with of the top of the tooth left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retired 10,000+ Posts

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the inverter sensor. This model has a history of that sensor failing.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    One thing I have not seen mentioned is the inverter sensor. This model has a history of that sensor failing.
    What and where is the inverter sensor?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

What and where is the inverter sensor?
    I think you might want to call in a tech to look at it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    I think you might want to call in a tech to look at it.
    I think I have ordered the service manual/firmware from copier tech

I do work on mechanical and electrical stuff, and i have good knowledge about electrics, physics etc. So I think I will figure it out when I get the manual and can read description of codes, go into service mode, do the component tests etc.
    The more complicated something is the more I take it as a challenge and the better the satisfaction when I get it fixed

I think i even have the manual already, stored on a computer at the business where I got this machine from. I downloaded it several years ago and I think they still have that particular pc. It's me that take care of their computers anyway the last few years.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So far, reading the manual, I have checked the inverter sensor. When into SP mode reading the sensor I see that it do in fact register paper in front of it. Without paper it has value 1, if I put paper in front of it closer than about 2cm it reads value 0. So, this sensor seems to work as far as I can tell.

PM parts seems to be a bit all over the place, need to study those more. Fuser unit has 53% life left, or was it 53% life used according one "counter".

I try to find exact explanation for code J064, which sensor is responsible for trigging that code.

Until later...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

7504 64 Inverter Sensor Inverter sensor does not turn off.

This is what the manual says about jam code 64.

This is getting interesting. The paper is still in front of the sensor when the machine stops. When there is paper in front of the sensor, shall the sensor then be on or off? When in service mode all sensors indicate value 0 (off) with paper in front of it, with no paper the sensors are reading 1 (on).

The explanation for the code seems to indicate that the controller is waiting for the sensor to read 0 (off) which means it waits for paper to be in front of the sensor. That means it is waiting for the paper to travel from the fuser exit sensor and to the inverter sensor, a distance of only some 40mm. When the machine stops the paper is in fact still in front of the sensor.

Or do the explanation for the code really mean that the machine looks for the paper to no more be in front of the sensor, that is waiting for the sensor to go to value 1 (on), and that there is just a mixup with regards to paper in front of and the value of the sensor?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

7504 64 Inverter Sensor Inverter sensor does not turn off.

This is what the manual says about jam code 64.

This is getting interesting. The paper is still in front of the sensor when the machine stops. When there is paper in front of the sensor, shall the sensor then be on or off? When in service mode all sensors indicate value 0 (off) with paper in front of it, with no paper the sensors are reading 1 (on).

The explanation for the code seems to indicate that the controller is waiting for the sensor to read 0 (off) which means it waits for paper to be in front of the sensor. That means it is waiting for the paper to travel from the fuser exit sensor and to the inverter sensor, a distance of only some 40mm. When the machine stops the paper is in fact still in front of the sensor.

Or do the explanation for the code really mean that the machine looks for the paper to no more be in front of the sensor, that is waiting for the sensor to go to value 1 (on), and that there is just a mixup with regards to paper in front of and the value of the sensor?
    Static tests of sensors often show them as apparent working but they fail dynamically when paper is passing through. This frequently true of sensors located above the fusing unit and is caused by prolonged exposure to heat. Sensors are not that expensive compared to hours of knocking your head against the walk,