Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Venting...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Venting...

Quote Originally Posted by Murv View Post
    Not sure I want to do this job for 64+ years. ;-)
    Hey Murv it looks like brother Phil dished no-look dime for your dunk
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Venting...

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Hey Murv it looks like brother Phil dished no-look dime for your dunk
    semi retired from this industry....

just got an email from Hendrix Motors.... they want me to apply for a ' technical writer ' position with them today.

I have created manuals for service ..sale..delivery .. parts ordering .. warehousing and a bunch of "tip sheets" for customers before they placed a service call.

pay starts @ $42.500 a year... great benefits 401k .. paid vacations at the start.. all medical.. a singing bonus $3,000 and monthly bonuses ... 40/hrs a week.

it's 40miles away but for that type of pay I'd drive to FL to kick some liberal ass!

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    haven't been doing it for that length of time... just I am 64+ yr old and it seems I get to be less asshole tolerant as the years progress.

Ahhh, okay. I'm 59+ and been doing the job for 43 and change. Yeah... less tolerant of the One D Ten Tee's as the years drag on. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Wait till you get to 73 like me.
    If I make it that far I won't be fixing copiers and printers. I will be sitting in my garage with my kegerator and brewing more beer to fill it.

Venting...

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    I am 65 and don't know how much longer I can tolerate the customers who think they know more than me.

I started in this business in 1986 and still haven't learned my lesson.

Too late to try something new.
    Some customers simply like to take their frustration out on the friendly copier repair man. I think that a lot of it has to do with the "service contract." I've always found that the customer sings a different tune when I start charging them to fix stupid shit. Only then will some customers begin to follow directions. My 2-cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    Some customers simply like to take their frustration out on the friendly copier repair man. I think that a lot of it has to do with the "service contract." I've always found that the customer sings a different tune when I start charging them to fix stupid shit. Only then will some customers begin to follow directions. My 2-cents.
    Agreed.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Venting...

Just recently had an enduser that called every three weeks to clean the slit the glass while it was under service agreement. If I called about them possibly cleaning it: " ... I don't have time for that ... ". Now that it's $140 per hour, they seem to have the time now... and were even thankful. I nearly dropped the phone when I got a Thank You. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Venting...

I haven't had any like that but have had those who like to take their frustration out on the the gal at our office who answers the phone. As an example many years g=had a doctors office with an SCM 55. They called about 9:30 that they are having a problem and want to know how soon I could be there. They were told that I had left about 8:30 to go to Porterville, an hours drive away, and had 4 customers to go to there. As a result in might be late afternoon before I would be back. The customer called every half hour to see if I was on my way back.

Venting...

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I haven't had any like that but have had those who like to take their frustration out on the the gal at our office who answers the phone. As an example many years g=had a doctors office with an SCM 55. They called about 9:30 that they are having a problem and want to know how soon I could be there. They were told that I had left about 8:30 to go to Porterville, an hours drive away, and had 4 customers to go to there. As a result in might be late afternoon before I would be back. The customer called every half hour to see if I was on my way back.
    Consider yourself lucky. Over the years I've run into some real jerks. Doctors are at the top of that list closely followed by attorneys. Not all, but some doctors have a God-complex. I've seen them bring nurses to tears, so you know that they're not worried about offending a copier tech. I was once called out on a service call for a fax and when I arrived, I discovered that the doctor had grown frustrated and slammed the machine on the floor. Needless to say that it was DOA.

I have a problem customer on my hands now. It's the same one that keeps calling me out to clean the slit glass. Like in blackcat's scenario, they are too busy to mess with it. This lady is the corporate manager in charge of several locations. The only location that's giving me problems is the headquarters where she's located. The problems have run the spectrum from cheap paper, dirty slit glass and operator error in general. And to boot, they only want a tech working on their machine at lunch time when they're less busy.

I've already had a talk with this lady but she's not reading the tea leaves. The next conversation that I have with her will be to lay down the law and inform her that she will be charged for operator error moving foward.

There comes a point to where I draw a line in the sand. At some point these service contracts become unprofitable when a tech has to constantly be on-site.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Venting...

Consider yourself lucky. Over the years I've run into some real jerks. Doctors are at the top of that list closely followed by attorneys. Not all, but some doctors have a God-complex. I've seen them bring nurses to tears, so you know that they're not worried about offending a copier tech. I was once called out on a service call for a fax and when I arrived, I discovered that the doctor had grown frustrated and slammed the machine on the floor. Needless to say that it was DOA.

I have a problem customer on my hands now. It's the same one that keeps calling me out to clean the slit glass. Like in blackcat's scenario, they are too busy to mess with it. This lady is the corporate manager in charge of several locations. The only location that's giving me problems is the headquarters where she's located. The problems have run the spectrum from cheap paper, dirty slit glass and operator error in general. And to boot, they only want a tech working on their machine at lunch time when they're less busy.

I've already had a talk with this lady but she's not reading the tea leaves. The next conversation that I have with her will be to lay down the law and inform her that she will be charged for operator error moving foward.

There comes a point to where I draw a line in the sand. At some point these service contracts become unprofitable when a tech has to constantly be on-site.
    Many years ago when non brandX plain paper copiers were first coming into use there was a Royal dealer in Los Angeles who was having constant problems with a Key Operator at a large company on a RBC1. Royal sent their regional rep to help. He went to the customer with the local tech and spent a couple of hours there. Afterwards he asked her to dinner and later took her to his hotel room. Now I don't know if she finally got her itch scratched or if she was afraid that Royal might send him out again, but she no longer a problem.