Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 2550B gray copies & now says add toner all the time

First of all I nothing about Ricoh machines. We were told by the customer that the machine was making gray copies. The customer changed the toner when the machine called for toner, but still gray copies until the machine just kept asking for toner and would do nothing else.

I went out and reinserted the toner bottle but the machine just cycles and keeps asking for toner. The toner bottle is really full. The handle for the toner bottle is covered with toner and it seems that no toner is getting into the developer. The handle also doesn't seem to close correctly. I have to lift that little button/lever before it will fit into the handle and allow the handle to close properly.

I think that this is pretty basic problem with these machines but I do not know the correct steps to fix it. I think I will have to replace the developer. After changing the developer I do not know what to run to initialize said developer. I also think that there is something wrong with the toner delivery system. I am sure there are certain steps I need to do to correct that problem. I need to know what those steps are.

Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP 2550B gray copies & now says add toner all the time

NO toner is getting to the Development unit because the entire PCU has far exceeded it's PM cycle and most likely the gears on the unit are worn, and therefore the dev augers are not turning, and toner not being loaded

It's widely known by those of us that work on them regularly that you can use the Ricoh type 1027 Photoconductor unit (designed more specifically for the 1027/ 2027), but it works flawlessly, with ZERO modifications required.
    Clean up the machine, clean optics, vacuum loose toner etc. Slid in the pcu. Run Dev initialization with SP2801.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like you might have an obstructed toner drop either in the toner tray or the PCU.Replace the PCU as Sandy recommends. If that corrects the problem but it comes back in a day or two, replace the toner tray, Part Number B090-3501 toner supply unit.

And make sure the you are using the correct toner cartridges. It should show on the bottle Genuine Ricoh and Type 2120D. If it says Type 2110D it may look the same but it is not. The bottom of the bottle is different and the toner add motor will not make contact to turn it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    First of all I nothing about Ricoh machines. We were told by the customer that the machine was making gray copies. The customer changed the toner when the machine called for toner, but still gray copies until the machine just kept asking for toner and would do nothing else.

I went out and reinserted the toner bottle but the machine just cycles and keeps asking for toner. The toner bottle is really full. The handle for the toner bottle is covered with toner and it seems that no toner is getting into the developer. The handle also doesn't seem to close correctly. I have to lift that little button/lever before it will fit into the handle and allow the handle to close properly.

I think that this is pretty basic problem with these machines but I do not know the correct steps to fix it. I think I will have to replace the developer. After changing the developer I do not know what to run to initialize said developer. I also think that there is something wrong with the toner delivery system. I am sure there are certain steps I need to do to correct that problem. I need to know what those steps are.

Thanks in advance.
    when you say, "and it looks like no toner is entering the developer" you mean you've separated the drum from the developer's box or don't seen it in the pcdu unit hole? Sometimes when replacing the toner the semi-transparent valve of the bottle remains in the hoarse attached to the hook, then inserting the new toner with another valve obstructs the passage of the toner.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thank you all for replying. The information you guys have left is very helpful.

In answer to your inquiry, GIUBOSS, the customer did have a couple prints from the machine before it stopped printing and I can feel a little grit on the page where there is image. I do believe the machine was using a bit of developer to make an image before it stopped working. That is what lead me to think the developer isn't getting any toner. However, what you mentioned about the "semi-transparent valve of the bottle" will get a look.

Thanks again all.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts luca72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post

Thanks in advance.

it will be necessary to replace the pcdu (exhausted), check, and also change the transfer roller, otherwise you risk random dots, even with a new pcdu, then disassemble and suck well the whole revolver group, and the various orifices, check that some have not come unglued mylar vanes from the internal reel that moves the toner, and go easy!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

By the age of that machine, you're likely going to need to replace the toner hopper assembly and the PCDU. The hoppers have mylars on the inside of them that over time will fall off, and the PCDU by now has had the gears in it ground down by developer and it just can't feed any toner into the mix. If you can, just put new units in and give the machine a fighting chance, or just replace the whole machine: it's coming up on over 13 years since that model was released.